Should I try to change from interest only to interest and capital

midlander

Hi,
My mortgage is with Mars Capital originally taken out in 2004 with Irish Nationwide.
- Mortgage amount is €145000, paying interest only since 2004, no arrears.
- The property is an investment property and rented out.
I asked Mars if I could begin to pay interest and capital and get the mortgage paid off over the next 15-16 years. They have asked me to complete a standard financial statement form.

The second option is to pay off capital and reduce monthly installments and I don't need to comlete a SFS form.
I'm to sure how to proceed.
Thank you..,,

At this rate it definitely makes sense to commence capital reductions ASAP. You do not need to complete a SFS nor ask permission to commence this process. Just get the IBAN and loan details from your Direct Debit payments and send on additional payments by bank transfer.

Hi brendan

I know one has a right to repay a home loan early without penalty.

Does the same apply to investment properties?

Brendan

At this rate it definitely makes sense to commence capital reductions ASAP. You do not need to complete a SFS nor ask permission to commence this process. Just get the IBAN and loan details from your Direct Debit payments and send on additional payments by bank transfer.
Hi, I've already overpaid by €5K and I called and asked them to use this money to reduce the capital and they the gave me the above options.

I've heard it all! A customer is on "interest only", he/she wants to start repaying interest plus capital, and the institution want an SFS...astonishing.

Hi, I've already overpaid by €5K and I called and asked them to use this money to reduce the capital and they the gave me the above options.
See my earlier response midlander. Any overpayment you make will automatically be taken off the capital as you are covering the interest element separately. You are probably dealing with a low level staff member who misunderstands the concept of MARP and your rights to make overpayments on your payments without needing any permission from the lender.

Back