Should I trust this car dealer?

LF123

I'm want to buy a used car and have seen one I really like.

Problem is, i'm not so sure about the dealer. It's a small enough dealer that is not specified in any particular car but has lots of used cars.

The car is 2006 with 25000miles. brought it for a test drive, brakes were crunching but he said all would be fixed up "as new" before purchasing. He is offering me 6 month warranty with the car.

Can anybody help? I'm not sure what to do!

Re: Should I trust this car dealer????

Get the AA to check it out.

[broken link removed]

(no affiliation to the AA .... )

Not sure what 'crunching' brakes are, but would agree that an independent check by someone would be worth the money.

At only 25k miles there shouldnt be anything major wrong with the braking system. Perhaps it just needs new pads?

The car.

If I took a 2006 car for a test drive and it was'nt right, I would be on my bike rapid.

Have you any friends (or friends of friends, etc.) who are mechanics? Ask them to come with you next time to see the car. This is what I do and I thank my lucky stars for my friend - I would have bought some horrors if it werent for him!!

AA inspections are (or at least were) very, very expensive - somewhere around €300-€400. You should be able to get a decent local mechanic to look at it for much less than this. Tell the garage guy that you'll be getting it inspected AFTER the work is done on the brakes, and you reserve the right to pull out at that stage. Give him a small deposit now, but one that you can afford to lose.

The car is 2006 with 25000miles. brought it for a test drive, brakes were crunching but he said all would be fixed up "as new" before purchasing. He is offering me 6 month warranty with the car.

I wonder why he didn't fix the brakes before allowing it out on a test run? Maybe he was hoping someone wouldn't notice?

I dont think the OP is comfortable buying from this dealer - I'd back out now. Put the feelers out for the same car in some other places, you'd be amazed what you find.

Give the dealer nothing. Tell him to put the car in a roadworthy condition and you will have it evaluated and road-tested by a suitably qualified mechanic and make your purchasing decision after that.

Give the dealer nothing. Tell him to put the car in a roadworthy condition and you will have it evaluated and road-tested by a suitably qualified mechanic and make your purchasing decision after that.
Exactly!!

AA inspections are (or at least were) very, very expensive - somewhere around €300-€400. You should be able to get a decent local mechanic to look at it for much less than this.

Bernard from carcheckireland will give the car a very thorough inspection for €150. Would recommend this service. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

The very fact that the OP has to ask the question means that there is a lack of confidence there. Lots and lots of dealers would court your €€€, so why stick with someone that you think is a bit iffy?

thanks for your posts! I've had a think about it and decided against it! I wasn't certain about the dealer and reading your posts made me realise I shouldnt settle for this one as there will be plenty of other cars available! thanks

Why buy a car with a problem? that makes no sense to me.

It was just brake pads and they dealer said all would be checked. I was wondering whether to trust him.

What did your mechanic say when he checked the car?

yeah, brade pads are very easily fixed. it's not like it didn't have an engine!

In response to AlbacoreA, my mechanic hasn't checked the car. I've decided to leave it but i could just tell myself that the brakes were bit noisy and I knew it was the pads!

Back