Should I stick with a 1.4l?

Y

Yogi

Have a 1.4l Golf - quite happy with it. Have started a new job which will mean a longer weekly commute (approx 500 miles pw). I put in about €70 in the tank at the moment which sees me through the week for that commute.

I'm wondering whether there would be any savings in running costs to be made if I switched to a 1.9 TDI car, possibly a Seat Leon or Scoda Octavia - would like a Golf TDI - but they're just too expensive.

Will it cost roughly the same to run as the 1.4l - but would just have a bit of extra welly instead?

If you are buying new you are borderline on a Diesel. 500pw x 48weeks 24,000 miles per year. You will probably come out on top if you drive the car for 60,000 miles over three years. Should consider second hand. Diesels command much less of a premium as used cars.

For what it's worth I would trade in for a diesel. The torque increase is the biggest plus, add that to the weekly saving in fuel economy and you're onto a winner. On the down side the road tax and possibly insurance costs will increase. Take one for a long test drive and you should have a good idea. I traded up a few years ago from petrol to diesel doing similiar mileage and the benefits are well worth it.

Thanks magunkey and Mez

Currently I'm looking at selling my own car for around €16,500 - €17,000. It would cost be a further €4,000 to trade up to an '05 Octavia or Leon TDi.

Think I need to do the sums!

My other half previously had a 1.9Tdi Golf 03 and when this was replaced (company car doing approx. 80,000 per year) now has a Skoda Octavia diesel (dont know if it is still 1.9 or more) He loves the Skoda, more space, more comfy, etc, but still said he preferred the Golf

(company car doing approx. 80,000 per year)

We were talking on another thread about a high mileage 2002 BMW 316 that someone was interested in. When I suggested that 90,000 miles over four and a half years was not particularly high mileage I was Pooh Poohed. I think your 80,000 per annum Golf comment proves that 90K over 4 and a half years is a meer walk in the park for a lot of cars these days.

Back