Should I move now to a lower risk fund for 18 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney Magoo

Crystal ball time again, but looking for some opinions if possible from the esteemed forum contributors (and others too of course).

The next 18 months is my time-frame so the crystal ball is particularly foggy and is rolling around the table currently in an earthquake too.

Aged 63 and living off savings and investments following redundancy a few years ago, I am looking forward to a deferred DB pension kicking in the month after my 65th birthday. I also have an AVC linked to the DB pension which I anticipate will closely approach the maximum allowed tax free lump sum (or will it?). In addition I have a PRB with Zurich and two other personal pension policies with Standard Life all of which have been unchanged through their life in medium to dynamic risk funds and have done rather well over all. The AVC fund has done less well over the years., and had a significant blip a couple of years ago.

My question is should I de-risk the policies now or go with the rollercoaster flow as I will likely be transferring all of the funds (in excess of my tax free lump sum) to an ARF when I reach the magic number? I can adjust the risk quite easily and quickly with Zurich and probably Standard Life, not sure if I can adjust the Irish Life AVC linked to my DB pension (Mercer administered).

If you listen to some stock market messiah's some say the S&P will have a cycle ending parabolic meltup by winter (November election time) to 4200 - 4300 and have an unmerciful meltdown for a couple of years afterwards... Nobody really knows but this bull market has to end sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back