Should i move my pension from a share based to Irish Life managed fund.

Reaction

I have a sizeable pension pot, a small part of it is marked paid up, this is with Irish Life, and looking at my account on their web site it has grown by 66% over 5 years. Which i was impressed with,
How do i find out if that before any charges are taken out?

The bulk of my pension portfolio is with Canter formerly Merrion, and is all in shares, except for some cash. If I move this to a managed fund, will I still need pension trustees.?

That's a wonderful return and i'd imagine it has had nothing taken out. You should contact them and ask where you stand as regards charges, etc, also ask if there are penalties for exiting. Your age and employment might have a bearing on what you do next.

I suspect that your Cantor pension fund is a self administered pension where you have a sepqrate pension Trustee.
If you move to an Executive Pension with any of the life companies then in most cases they or an affiliated Trustee company can fulfil the Trustee role for you. For a sizeable pot this can be arranged at no additional cost.
Alternatively you can keep the Self administered pension and simply move away from a share based investment strategy to a managed fund strategy.
If I were in your shoes I would check out what the full range of charges are for each option.
Identify exactly what fund{s} you were invested in with Irish Life and review its performance with equivalents elsewhere.
Risk and Return are linked so look at the risk level of that/those funds and also review your current attitude to investment risk and your financial objectives.
If you are not in a position to do this, then consider paying a fee for a thoroigh professional review of all your pension options.
All the best Vincent

Last edited:
Back