Should I make two theft claims during one insurance year?

Keen Ark

Hi,
I had a motorcycle stolen last year, from near the canal boat where I stay when I'm working in Dublin. Fortunately I was insured against theft and Liberty were very efficient and helpful, paying out in a very short time.

I bought a second bike with the payout. This, however, was also stolen last night. It was locked up with two heavy chains but they used an angle grinder.

Obviously my security was ineffective and I need to step it up next time, but I'm wondering whether I should make another claim, about 8 months after the last one. I don't know much about it but I have a feeling I could be making myself a pariah as far as insurance companies are concerned.

Thank you in advance

Brian

Strictly speaking you would probably need to report it to your insurers anyhow under your contract.

If you don't report you might be caught at renewal if there is a requirement to notify any loss since last renewal beside the one already dealt with.
The duty of disclosure revives at renewal.
Failure to declare at renewal could lead to invalidation of the policy with the shed load of problems that brings.
Similar thinking would apply if you went to a new insurer.

Back