Should I make a claim on my house insurance?

Leesider32

Hi all,

I have never made a claim on my house insurance but I have rental property that is causing some problems. The shower has been leaking and the utility ceiling underneath is sagging and will need to be replace along with the shower unit, probably going to cost a few grand. Should I make a claim on my house insurance for something like this or would it increase the insurance by too much?

Like with a motor policy can you get a rough quote from a builder and ask your insurance company approx how much extra your premium will be next year. Don't forget about your excess.

Thanks Sue, the excess is €500 and have started the process, just waiting on the quote from the builder now and then will ask about the premium increase.

As Peteb says, read the policy. Some insurers exclude leaks from faulty seals. If the ceiling is sagging, it is possible that the leak is ongoing over a long period and this will also be excluded. As far as I know, once you notify the claim, your insurer should tell you by how much the premium will be affected. If they don't, then ask!

Unfortunately it may not be covered unless water is from a leaking pipe which invariably it is not . Most of the time the shower seals / grout has failed which is am excluded cause . As your builder to confirm where the water is leaking from

Back