Should I cancel old CC before applying for new?

M

Mismax

I currently have an Ulster bank zinc card paid off in full each month. I am thinking of cancelling it and getting a tesco cc instead as I don't find anything very useful about the your points.

Is it best to have the 2 cards just in case or should I cancel the UB one? If so, before or after I get the tesco one?

Many Thanks for any advice

There is a government/stamp duty of e30 is payable annually on credit cards.

The following info is on citizenadvice website:
The duty is payable on April 1 for the preceding year. The tax year for the stamp duty begins on April 2.
If the credit card account is closed never having been used, no stamp duty is payable provided that you close the account in the same period as it was opened. If you have used your card and you close your account during the year, you will be charged.
If you are changing to a different credit card account you don’t have to pay the duty more than once. When you are closing the account your card issuer will give you a letter of closure stating that you have paid your stamp duty for the year. If you give this letter to your new card issuer, you will not be charged stamp duty by them for that year. You can change account as often as you like during the year without paying extra duty, as long as you transfer a letter of closure between the card issuers each time.

have prev changed from bank of ireland cc to pigsback cc for their points as getting nothing in reward from boi. anyway now find pigsback of no benefit to me and have decided to change to tesco for their daysout deals.

anyway i have a post up here finding out about the tesco card, they have no cc cheques and no online page where i can check balances etc. They do have a free phone no. from landlines.

def cancel your old cc before you apply for the new one as margaret said €30 charge payable on each card you own. you will get a letter from ulster bank saying you'v paid the €30 charge as you will to close the ulster bank account, then forward this letter to your tesco cc so the charge wont be applied again.

Mismax, if you travel a lot then two cards are handy in case one gets blocked. - You know how you can sit in the office for weeks not spending much on your CC then go off on holidays and bang they see an irregular spending pattern so quick as a flash they think your card must have been stolen and block all transactions until you manage to call them.