Health Insurance "Should I cancel my health insurance now that the private hospitals have come under state control?"

So laya healthcare will refund €65 a month for 3 months, I'm assuming the still take the actual monthly installment as normal? So if my monthly installment is €85 a month -€65 it's actually only costing me €20.

My Laya monthly premium is ~€195 so it’s only one month free for me which doesn’t match the 3 months approximate duration of the crisis...until of course they claw it back when it’s increase time on renewal.

How is this going to work if employers pay the vhi premium? Is there a 50% cash refund of the BIK paid?

How is this going to work if employers pay the vhi premium? Is there a 50% cash refund of the BIK paid?

I don't know re: VHI. I got an email to say from LAYA I would get €75 back and employer would get €120. It didn't mention BIK impact.

I have a renewal due in 10 days time. Current plan for wife and myself is VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3 I also have 3 children on VHI One Plan Family. My premuim is increasing by €300 this year. Would it be a good idea to change us all to the cheapest plan possible for the next three months until this, hopefully, passes over? Cant see a good reason to pay more for a premuim with a reduction in possible available cover over this current period. Any thoughts most welcome..

Good question. It might be a good time to review your cover in general. The problem with changing down a plan is that if you go back, there is usually a waiting period of 26 weeks for new conditions and not sure about other providers, but Irish Life Health make you wait at least 1 year for "upgraded" cover if you go up from a lower cover plan. So perhaps look at a "better value" plan rather than cutting your cover - for example one that gives more day to day cover like GP fees that you might use.

Back