Should I buy years or contribute to an AVC/PRSA?

By my reckoning it would cost €30,000. (Appendix 2, Table 6 here : http://www.cspensions.gov.ie/SuperannuationHandbookandGuidanceDec20061.pdf )

Yes, full pension and lump sum at 61 (or 60, if they had bought the year of notional service). But the Occupational Pension would be €37,000. They would have to rely on Supplementary Pension for the other €13,000 until State Pension age, and meet the eligibility criteria attached to this ( Essentially, claim any relevant SW benefit first -JB - and not be in any insurable employment).

Last edited:

I have been through a similar situation this year myself.
Financial advisors are so vague and if you ask one out straight to give you a ball park figure they wont.

So having just gone and met one and got all the advice i can tell you what it cost us. We didnt want to use cornmarket, so we paid an independent financial advisor (someone who posts a lot on here recommended him actually) €400 for a sit down with both of us. He was very thorough and told us exactly what was what. He went through all accounts we have, all pensions and investments, college funds etc. Then a week later he sent us a detailed breakdown of what we need to do to achieve our goals along with some suggestions of products which we can take or not. He also outlined the fee structure of each of them in black and white.
So we are now thinking about what we went through with him and will go back to either himself or another to get everything set up.
Will probably end up costing about €1000 in fees to get all the money in the right places with no ongoing fees after that.
If we want a yearly or two yearly consult with this guy he will do it for €400 per consult.

Hi everyone,
I'm just starting to look into this. I'm post 2004. I'm a teacher. I started in 2005. Ideally I'd like to retire early, in 20 years. So I'll have done 35 years.
What impact will this have on my pension? Looking at AVC's. Is this the right product to go for to get earlier retirement? Any advice/ links appreciated.

Corina

Would it be possible to send me the details of that person please

Sorry to bump this thread but, Early Riser, could you please explain the calculation for 'The maximum allowed for 19 years is 108/80'. Thanks a million.
PR

I have a question. How is it that I cannot buy notional service for the years that I was on career break? I understand I can't buy the now as I am on the single pension scheme but technically there was no break in service while I was on career break.

This isn't just for new starters. This is for anyone with a break in service. By the time I retire I will have worked for 50 years and still won't have anything near a full pension, not even for the contributory state pension. I am by not the only one in this boat.

Sorry to bump this thread but, Early Riser, could you please explain the calculation for 'The maximum allowed for 19 years is 108/80'. Thanks a million.
PR
The maximum lump sum that can be taken at normal retirement age is 1.5 times pensionable remuneration - normally requiring 40 years service (40*3/2 = 120/80). Provided you have at least 20 years service Revenue will allow you to use an AVC to top up your Occupational Pension lump sum to this amount. But if you have less than 20 years pensionable service they operate a sliding scale. For 19 years service the maximum you are allowed to take tax free is 108/120. The full sliding scale is at 7.2 here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/pensions/chapter-07.pdf

Brilliant, thanks a million ER

Hi all

Will have 27 years completed as a public servant at 65 and have purchased by periodic deduction since 2002 7.7 years by NSP giving a total of approx 34.7 years at 65. If I want to retire by 63/4 next birthday 60. Are AVCs the best tax efficient option to build up additional capital and if so where can I find an independent financial advisor for fee based pensions advice.

Many thanks in advance for any observations or pointers.

Hello,

I am a HSE full time clerical worker with 22 years service, due to retire at 65 in 2027, grade 5 for the past 2 years . I decided to buy back notional service and I am now in year 4 of 9 Yr buy back to reach 36 years when I retire. I am single and started work in HSE in 2002 as a permanent employee. Is this value for money as it is costing 12000 euros per year. Many thanks,
Hello, I have 22 yrs service in HSE with 4 ys left until I finish at 65, I have bought notional service (9 years which will finish when I am 65). I started as grade 4 now grade 5, is notional the best option for me? Thank you

I am not a FA and I am still trying to get my head around the whole pension thing... But 36 years should get you a fairly good pension. It is state guaranteed and there is no fees or decisions to be made about what products to invest in etc. And stock market volatility won't effect you and no hidden fees etc., - you know what you will get. The pension will be based on your promotion salary and if you get another promotion you will get a bigger pension.

I am currently in year 4 of buying back 11 years over 10 years and I am very happy with my choice. It does / is taking some time to get used to having less money but I am confident about the future and being able to have a nice standard of living in retirement should I stick it till I am 60 (currently considering going at 58 with @36 years).

The value for money thing really depends on how long you live. For me the value is in the peace of mind of knowing I will have enough money every week for the rest of my life. I can go on holidays a few times a year and pay all my bills and be generally comfortable. I might live a long time and as an investment it could be very sound or I may only live a year or 2 in retirement not get back what I put in - but I personally don't care about getting all my money back - It is about security in retirement for me.

I think the OPs article is very good and it lays out all the variable re NPS v AVCs.

Best of luck with your decision

For a new entrant (joined 2015) who will only have approx 17 years (WTE) service at 66 years, is it possible that purchase of years could be a better choice than AVC's?