Should I buy dollars now or wait

lola1979

I'm going to the states in october and am kicking myself that I didnt buy dollars a few weeks ago. Do you think I should buy now or wait til closer to october?

Who knows? Nobody can predict the future. Rather than engaging in currency speculation you are probably better off just looking at minimising the forex and related charges - e.g. by preloading a credit card and withdrawing cash abroad - as covered in many existing threads.

If its any help i bought dollars last friday. I changed 2600 euro and got 3750 dollars.
My sister changed euros to dollars 3 weeks ago and she chanced 2500 euro , she got 4000 dollars.
so i think although it is very unpredictable you might be better off doing the exchange now, better to be safe than sorry

How/where did you manage to get a rate of 0.6933!?! Even the wholesale rate was not that high on Friday [broken link removed]. I converted $ to € using Transfermate on Monday and got a rate of 0.67950 and I believe that this was relatively competitive compared to retail rates (and charges).

which rate? the one last week or the rate my sister got?

which rate? the one last week or the rate my sister got?

Your's obviously:

Your's: €2,600 / $3,750 = 0.6933
You sister's: €2,500 / $4,000 = 0.6250

I find it hard to believe that you actually got that rate last Friday.

BoI retail rate is currently 0.6974. The OP doesn't mention whether commission is included in the calculation, or not.

I got $1530 for €1015 in my local credit union last week. A rate of €0.66339 per dollar.

Your's obviously:

Your's: €2,600 / $3,750 = 0.6933
You sister's: €2,500 / $4,000 = 0.6250

I find it hard to believe that you actually got that rate last Friday.
clubman ,
i got it in the aib bank
commission was included

BoI retail rate is currently 0.6974. The OP doesn't mention whether commission is included in the calculation, or not.
Sorry - my stupid mistake! I was selling $ to buy € whereas this thread is about selling € to buy $ so involves the opposite side of the forex spread!