Should dogs be kept on lead in Public Parks

I remember being absolutely terrified walking to my friend's house because a dog used to frequently come shooting out of one of the neighbour's house yapping ferociously and running at me. I still get an automatic feeling of fear on the rare occasions when I now walk past that house, even though it was years and years ago and the dog and owner are now long gone.

Yeah, I had houses or roads I wouldnt go down as well. My poor mother, god rest her, had a fear of dogs and ended up with terrible anxiety if she had to go to the shops alone in case a dog went for her, she used to have these long convoluted routes so she wouldnt have to pass a loose dog.

I dont think people realise how much of an impact it has on someone.

On the other hand...

We had a dog during the 80s - he appeared to be absolutely fine in the garden (enclosed) and when visitors called etc but we couldn't ever let him out on the street as he would treat all other dogs/animals/people with aggression - not necessarily always go for them, but it did happen. As a result he was basically a house dog that was always walked on a leash and never ever taken off it.

Looking back, probably simply poorly trained (although he was certainly obedient in the house).

My point is , you can never tell - we only knew about his 'street' behaviour when it was too late and were shocked to see him 'in action' as it were. Thankfully no real damage done.

I'm with Caveat here. You cannot trust a dog. The dog owner is obliged to have total control over the dog in public. I stress the words total control. A dog 30 metres distant and off the leash is not total control. Personally, I think many dog owners should themselves be kept on a leash.

Here are the Dublin City Council bye laws in relation to the control of dogs:
[broken link removed]

From part of it :

• A person in charge of a dog in an area specified in the First Schedule * to these Bye-Laws ... shall keep the dog on a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length if a fixed leash, or ten metres if retractable, while in that area, except during the following times when the dog may be unleashed in such areas (but excluding the North Bull Island and any other such area for which a Special Amenity Area Order is made) provided that such dog must still be under the effectual control of the person-in-charge of the dog in accordance with the Control of Dogs Acts, 1986 and 1992:
January & December: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
4.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.

February & November: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
4.30 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.

* The First Schedule includes
Any - (a) park, ... which is under the control of the Corporation.

I think some people think that dogs are furry humans -forget that dogs are pack animals.

Nobody can guarantee their dog's behaviour if the dog feels threatened/stressed/in danger.

I've had problems with an unleashed dog running out in front of my bike on my commute. I had fairly sharp words with the owner last time, so hopefully it won't happen again.