Should decking be completely closed in around the sides.

D

db2admin

Hi,
Would anyone know if decking should be completely closed in around the sides. There is a 2.5-3.5 inch gap underneath our decking in parts. Should this be closed off. I have read of peoples concerns with vermin on other threads relating to decking.
Thanks

Doesn't really matter as vermin will easily chew a hole through it if they really need a snug place for the winter.
Sometimes whoever lays the decking will also allow expansion gaps for the timber to expand in the heat.

Good Luck ;)

It can sometimes look better if the gap is sealed but it would have absolutely no impact on the issue of vermin.

I've had a deck for three years and have no particular problems with vermin.

Thanks for the replies. The deck itself is level and straight, so I think that I may be able to fill in the gaps with some soil and then block in the part on concrete with thin strips. I don't suppose anything will stop vermin if they wanted to move in.
On the subject of cost, most of the quotes I got were using feet and yards and were working out around €100 sq.yd. fitted for soft wood, double that and more for hard wood. So maybe a little extra per sq. metre. ABS on the Naas road have 16*16 supply only for €699, no handrails.

"expansion gaps for the timber to expand in the heat"

timber shrinks in heat..it expands in rain!

what about leaving gaps at the sides so that you have somewhere to sweep dirt etc. off the decking - if it's totally closed in, surely that's going to pose a problem ?

Why would decking attract vermin anymore than a garden shed would.

Should I stop my carpenter doing the decking !!!!

db2admin said:
Hi,
Would anyone know if decking should be completely closed in around the sides. There is a 2.5-3.5 inch gap underneath our decking in parts. Should this be closed off. I have read of peoples concerns with vermin on other threads relating to decking.
Thanks

Well

it does look nicer filled in around the bottom edges, regarding gaps between the boards about approx 1/4 inch (5mm) to allow the boards to contract and expand, handrails are advisable if your deck is approx 2 Feet off the ground. This was done for disabled though with a ramp. Also put a plastic membrane underneath, this stops any weeds also growing up through.

[broken link removed]

Back