Should all variable rate customers stop paying their mortgage?

My concern here is not just with getting the svrs down but in the event of that not happening what happens in the next year or so with regard to the cycle of interest rates. I've been reading about the fed and boe and rates going up there, with the form the irish banks have shown that they'll just go and start jacking up all rates so as to maintain the current high differential between the two and not do the decent thing and just hit the trackers. This for me as well as the upcoming election is the reason we need to up the ante with regard to actions taken in the near future because I for one have no faith in any of the state angles for dealing with this. If people are feeling hard done by now what way will they feel when the current 4.5% svr becomes 5.5%+. This might be what the silent majority need to happen before they're shaken into doing something. Any thoughts or expert opinions on the point I make re the cycle of rates Brendan would be most welcome as maybe I'm talking through my hat or maybe I'm getting the banks all wrong about what they'll do when the ecb starts to up their rate. If I am rite ill join the orderly queue outside my bank with the keys of my apartment.

On the other hand if you can avoid current a/c charges (e.g. by moving to PTSB) then do it.

Brendan is right.Its the mortgages we need to tackle.
Of course he is Grainne, what I'm putting out there is what I see happening in the very near future re the rates which for me makes the present time very important with regard to achieving success. I am also keen to hear Brendans take on what way he sees it going and if it's any different to what I think because I'll certainly find it very hard to pay much more than I already do.

My partner and myself are having sleepless nights because we believe these interest rates are going to rise. We are certainly feeling the pinch and are apprehensive about the future of this property we call our home. Something has to give???

No indication of any changes in EURIBOR in the near future (next 12 months at least). The banks did not react to the last 2/3 rate reductions. It is unlikely that they can make a case to increase rates should there be some upward movement in the next couple of years.
Having said that I respect that the bank's are unreliable in this area. However, the current imbalance of power is unlikely to last over the longer term and I would be reasonably satisfied that upward SVR movement is unlikely within the next 2/3 year period at least.

I sincerely hope you're right 44brendan but we do agree that the bank's are unreliable, I can safely say I have no trust in them. Unfortunately however for me the banks can do what they want as they've been allowed to to date therefore if they decide to raise rates to 10% there's no guarantee any action would be taken by the state against them . The banks didnt of course react then because it suited them as they saw their opportunity to get back some of their tracker losses. An excuse for them to raise rates to maintain the differential would be manna from heaven, who knows this might be the time when the silent majority start getting angry and we can get the numbers to carry out the courses of action i feel we need to, namely picketing etc. I also hope you're right re no movement in the svr rates in the next 2/3 years as the nightmare scenario of 5%+ rates would lead to anarchy.

My partner and myself are having sleepless nights because we believe these interest rates are going to rise. We are certainly feeling the pinch and are apprehensive about the future of this property we call our home. Something has to give???
Can you fix at a rate that is affordable to you?
Who is you lender, how much do you owe, what is your property value, what is your mortgage term etc.?

Lender is ACC Bank. We are repaying 4.4%. We have tried to fix at an affordable rate but they advised us not too as their fixed rate is currently higher than their variable rate.

Property is valued at approx 230k Left on loan: 280k. So property is in negative equity.
We remortgaged in the silly times 3 times. Are repayment schedule rates are as follows:

280k repaying 4.4%
40k repaying 4.4%
10k repaying 4.4%
10k repaying 4.4%

So you owe €280K or €340K?
4.4% is obviously high but I guess if you're in NE then you're stuck with ACC?
I don't know what their other rates are like...?