Should AAM allow technical information about copying CDs/DVDs?

extopia

I'm surprised to see info here about ripping and compressing movies without any copyright disclaimers. Intellectual property theft is a serious offense, right up there with tax evasion. Furthermore, Ireland is a software producing economy and to encourage copyright infringement is very short-sighted indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Burning a 3hr movie

I personally have given up adding disclaimers to most of my posts on this and other matters unless there is an obvious nefarious angle to a query (e.g. somebody asking how to pirate material or evade tax). Where possible I prefer to just assume that a query is posted in good faith, provide any information that I can and assume that the recipient will use it wisely/fairly. If they don't then there's nothing that you or I can do about it anyway and adding warnings to each post is largely pointless, can be seen as patronising and just gets boring. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Nevertheless the chances of a 3-hour dvd burn not involving copyright infringement are slim, to say the least. There are countless web-based information sources to which the original poster can go for this kind of information; AAM does not have to be one of them.

As far as I know the issue of making copies of copyrighted material (e.g. CDs/DVDs) for the owner's personal use (e.g. making a copy of copy protected disks which will not play on certain players by default, making backup copies, making duplicates because the original medium is damaged and liable to failure etc.) is a bit of a grey area in Ireland - although I could be mistaken. I tried to find out about this (see the topic linked above) without any success. I would be interested if anybody could explain the precise legal situation with regard to copying material and fair use etc. as it applies in Ireland/EU. In the absence of any blanket ban on such behaviour I see no problem in posting technical information which may be relevant and leaving it to the reader to hopefully use such information legally/responsibly.

By the way - I am not even sure what the legal situation is with regard to ripping content for use on digital audio players even though everybody knows that this happens and, in many cases, only involves legally held content and not illegal copyright breaching file swapping.

You've just acted as judge and jury extopia. Without knowing what the poster is trying to burn [it could just be three hours of family footage etc] you shouldn't preach like this. You may be right...but benefit of the doubt etc etc...

This is the IT section and this is a fairly standard type of question for this forum.

As with ALL IT based questions...the answer is out there on the web somewhere.

Listen folks, I make a living from content production and I am not going to go away and ignore this kind of thing. There is indeed a chance that the material is not copyrighted material, but as I said above it is a slim one.

Think about it. Three hours of family movies - why sweat having it on two DVDs? Backup of poster's own DVD - possible but unlikely given the low prices of DVDs these days.

Maybe then you could clarify Clubman's position above? My own view would be the same in relation to private use.

The issue to which Clubman refers above (i.e. making copies of one's own material for one's own use) is of no concern to me. It may or may not be illegal. In fact as far as I know it actually IS illegal in Ireland to copy your own cds.

You can plough through this if you have the time, I really don't know.
[broken link removed]

There is no doubt whatsover that it is illegal to copy cds or dvds to which one does not already have copyright (i.e. due to purchase of same).

extopia said:
There is no doubt whatsover that it is illegal to copy cds or dvds to which one does not already have copyright (i.e. due to purchase of same).

Fair enough...but then I used to copy old records onto tape as a youngster. That was illegal too [strictly speaking]. I didn't lose any sleep over it though.

Hi

Just to clarify this a private film and nothing illegal about it. I had a dvd my own personal(family films etc) copy nothing copyrighted, which was put on a dvd. I tried to copy it and got these files and then tried to burn it onto a normal dvd but it would not fit. I then realised I was doing it wrong as it was not 3 hours as I thought, judging by the file size, but only over 2.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the info. I haven't read it yet but if it is the case that any copying of copyrighted material (including the making of copies for use by the owner of the CD/DVD disks etc.) then I guess that anybody who, for example, rips CD tracks for use on their digital audio players are not operating within the law?

extopia said:
It may or may not be illegal.

There is no doubt whatsover that it is illegal

You seem to be contradicting yourself here or am I misreading your post?

You seem to be contradicting yourself here or am I misreading your post?

Clubman, I said

1. It may or may not be illegal to copy your own material for your own use.
2. There is no doubt that it is illegal to copy material that you do not own.

extopia said:
2. There is no doubt that it is illegal to copy material that you do not own.

Sorry - I genuinely thought that the ownership to which you were referring here was the ownership of the original copyright material (e.g. by the musician who recorded the material or the record company etc.) and not the ownership of the retail CD/DVD copy of that material.

People that rip and burn a rented DVD generally would not have purchased the DVD anyway so no loss to the DVD sellers. DVD purchasers from what I've seen want the whole "package" and you could give them a ripped version of any DVD and they'd still go out and buy the box.

It's more of the "Home taping is killing music" from the 80's. When exactly did the music die?

How did the movie industry survive when you had to go to the cinema to see a movie pre VHS? The outlet potential for their content has mushroomed thousands of times since the advent of VHS/DVD.

And why does a DVD cost more than a VHS tape when the cost of materials is lower? Ahh - because of the "Added Value" of deleted scenes etc... Yeah right!

So why do they bother ripping it? What is the purpose?
podgerodge said:
And why does a DVD cost more than a VHS tape when the cost of materials is lower? Ahh - because of the "Added Value" of deleted scenes etc... Yeah right!
Don't see the relevance of the arguement - If the consumer doesn't see the price of the DVD product as good value, their option is not to buy the product - Nothing else.

RainyDay said:
So why do they bother ripping it? What is the purpose?

To store, manage, play the content on a (possibly PC based) home multimedia system or a portable digital audio/video player for example presumably?