Shortchanging habit by local pub

onekeano

Went into local at around tea time (before Shels win over the Bohs!) with Mrs Roy and ordered 2 drinks. Handed over the €50 kindly presented to me by Mrs Roy on the way in. Barwoman gives me change of €20 and when I bring it to her attention that I gace her a fifty she says "no, it was a €20". She goes off - checks the till and confirms it was a €20.

I left the change on the bar - not accepting her line and checked with Mrs Roy who confirmed it was €50. Very annoyed at this stage I went back and when she saw my seriously pissed off look she says "I'm sorry , it was a fifty.... sorry about that".

The really really annoying thing about this is that it seems to be almost systematic. Having been warned of this by friends in the past I have on at least two previous occasions had to pull barstaff up for this kind of "error".

Apart from withdrawing my custom which is sporadic, is there something else that can be done. I have no doubt many people are being caught out by this in this very well known establishment which on match days would have people six deep at the bar and people would be more vulnerable and perhaps not quite on top of their game if you know what I mean.......

Roy

Happened to me in well known golfing hotel outside Dublin. I was able to able to prove it to my wife at least when I got back to my seat with the drinks that there was a fiver short - I almost always put the change in my top shirt pocket along with the receipt. Called the manager who brought the change and receipt back to the barman. He came back over after a chinwag with the correct change.
I found it a little unsettling going back for the second drink whether it was a sort of guilt or what i don't know - it took the good out of it!

Women I notice as a rule don't check their change - they just bung it in the purse, notes and all.

I was down in Glengarriff a couple of weeks ago. One of the local pubs was not even ringing the price of the drink in the till, just giving back change from the open drawer. No receipts were given just a handful of change. I pointed this out to the bar lady, with the Foxrock accent, asking her what price I was being charged for my pint who looked at me as if I was from another planet. I moved to the next pub for my second drink.

I used to never check my change in pubs. give in a note and put the change in my pocket without checking. however a friend of my insists on always checking his change. even late at night in crowded bar with much alcohol consumed. and I was surprised at the amount of times he caught barstaff overcharging him. maybe only by 20c or 50c but it happens quite frequently.

From the other side,
In my student days working bars, the amount of customers that would try it on was unbelieveable

To prove the customer right/wrong you had to 'read' the till and count all the coins which could take up to 15 mins and they still wouldn't believe you