Shopping via outlets in NY

Newbie!

Hi,
Im going to new york in 2 weeks and last time we were there we bought all our clothes in Jersey Gardens. Basically, we bought in Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Tommy H and Ralph Lauren. Everything was so so cheap in Jersey Gardens that we actually bought nothing in NY itself.

This time, however, we dont have time to spend a day out of NY so all the shopping has got to be done in Manhattan. I've heard of Century 21 but is that like another TK Mazx sort of thing cos i couldnt cope with that. Does anyone know of anything like Jersey Gardens in NY itself?

thanks,

Was in Century 21 twice - the first time was early Jan and it was great! They had winter stuff that we'd wear 9 months of the year. Went last summer and it wasn't as good. Macy's might be your best bet if you can't head to Jersey / Woodbury Common - not as cheap but all the brands. If you go to Century 21 make sure you buy a few pairs or Forsheim stocking - they come in packs of 2 for 5.95 ..... sad to be talking/recommending stockings but these are unreal !

Which is better Jersey Gardens or Woodbury common?

Both seem to have brand stores, such as T Hilfiger, Gap etc.

Which is better Jersey Gardens or Woodbury common?

Both seem to have brand stores, such as T Hilfiger, Gap etc.

I havent been to Woodbury Commons so cant say , however jersey gardens is about 20 mins away on the bus and 10 dollars return whereas woodbury common is about an hour away and almost 40 dollars return.

I've been to New York twice (Nov 05 & 06) and both times I went to Century 21. Each time I found the place extremely hard work, you really have to root and a lot of the clothes are dated, although the first time I was there I got a pair of Miss Sixty jeans for around $50 so it wasn't all bad!

The second time I was there I couldn't find anything but my bf got loads. He got a few shirts and a couple of jumpers cheap enough and a Hugo Boss suit that would have probably cost double here.

I also went to Woodbury Common twice. Some shops are better than others and I think there's definitely a lot better selection for men than women, but I felt that about New York in general. I haven't been to Jersey Gardens so I can't compare the two but I'm going back to NY in January and if I do go to an outlet it will probably be Jersey Gardens. They have a lot of the same shops as Woodbury Common (at least the ones I'd be interested in) and it's a shorter bus ride. You really need to set aside a full day to go to Woodbury Common and the last time I was there we had to wait almost an hour for a bus back to NY and the drive took 2 hours, but to be fair it was a couple of days before Thanksgiving.

I would agree with Firefly about Macy's - they have all the brands and when you take off your, I think it's, 11% discount the clothes work out at almost the same price as the outlet stores. Also, the range is more up to date.

I've enjoyed woodbury common when I've visited, I think from anecdotal evidence woodbury has wider range of higher end stuff (chanel, tods, gucci...) whereas Jersey garden is more high street outlets.
There is a good TJ Maxx on the avenue of the americas, from memory around 20-23 St.... in fact the area around it is pretty good with a lot of the main US brands there, Bed bath and beyond / barnes and noble / gap / old navy.... so I would recommend a visit there as well as century 21. In some ways the area was comparable to Mary St, whereas tourist areas (5th Avenue) might be more Grafton St ;-)
Century 21 is fairly decent, but be prepared to dig.... you will get great value in underwear, jeans, shoes... but from my experience about 80-85% is useless... all size 0, or just rotten fashion... but that 15% is worth the trouble.
at the end of the day, just how much shopping do you want to do compared with sightseeing... let that be your guide.

Agree with Hel N - Woodbury and C21 better for blokes. I picked up a few suits (CK) in C21 for a steal and got shirts, ties, jackets etc. Mrs Firefly didn't get a whole lot.

Let us know how you get on...with the cheap dollar I'd say Mrs Firefly would be easily persuaded...

On a slightly related topic...does anyone know if they sell Henry Jermyn shirts in NY as they're 110 euro in Dame St?

Woodbury Common is really good for the more expensive brands...if you're going to head out there take my advice and get a limo. $400 split between a group is way better than hanging around for buses. Plus you can leave your shopping with the driver.

Woodbury Common is really good for the more expensive brands...if you're going to head out there take my advice and get a limo. $400 split between a group is way better than hanging around for buses. Plus you can leave your shopping with the driver.

Out in Jersey Gardens most people bring cases with them to throw all their stuff in and by getting the bus you have more money to spend on your clothes.

A new place to visit [broken link removed] and I think there is a mall at colombus circle as well.[broken link removed]

A new place to visit [broken link removed] and I think there is a mall at colombus circle as well.[broken link removed]

South Street Seaport is one of my favourite places in NY - I would definitely recommend spending a couple of hours down there. The last time I was there there was street performers and live musicians, all free, and there was a real buzz to the place.

You can get a great pic of Brooklyn Bridge from the pier (looks even better at night).

I loved the shopping there - there's a Guess store if you're into handbags and the Abercrombie and Fitch store is much more relaxed than the one on 5th Avenue.

I've been to Woodbury Common and Jersey Gardens and would opt for Woodbury any time. I thought JG was rubbish! However, I would only ever go back to Woodbury (or any mall outside the city) if I was staying a minimum 5 days. Time in New York is too precious to me.

My discount recommendations -

Both Bloomingdales and Macys do the discount card. The discount even comes off sale prices so you can get great bargains. Cosmetics not included though.

Century 21 - for Handbags only, I don't have the patience for the rest of the place.

Shoes - DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse). There's one at Union Square (14th St) and also one near Ground Zero. Shoes from $20 t0 $600 but bargains the lot of them.

Clothes - most shops have decent sale rails year round. There are also TJ Maxx and Filene's Basements all over the city (check the phonebook or google) . Again there's definitely a Filenes at Union Square next to DSW so that's a good place to head. It's also a subway hub so lots of transport options. And there's a Crate & Barrel a few minutes away too!

I've been to both and I thought Woodbury was miles better. JG had just opened when I visited but I thought the clothes were really dated and as someone else said, the range of men's stuff was a lot better than womens. I'd love to go back to Woodbury. It's well worth the bus trip out from Port Authority.

Back