Shopping in the North a Problem???

Good point but retailing is a very competitive sector. Our cost base has more to do with property costs (and all that goes with it) and Benchmarking etc.

I'll continue to shop in the republic, where most of the shops are foreign.

Are we not all Irish regardless of what side of the border we are on?

You can shop in British owed stores in the South who probably export most of their profits, shop in ROI owned shops in NI(eg, Easons, O'Neills etc)

And how do you know what is actually Irish?, for example foreign meat can be brought in and as long as it is packaged in Ireland it can be badged as Irish.

As a consumer, if I can get better value for money and better customer service on average in NI, off I go

Also, as I alluded to above, NI supermarkets for example supply plenty of goods sourced in ROI - it's still possible to 'buy Irish' - but at a cheaper price.

Another thing is ALDI/LIDL - surely the vast majority of their products are not Irish?

As regards the HR side, smaller franchises (SPAR etc) are always a bit more vulnerable and always have been but are the likes of Tesco/Dunnes having to make redundancies? News to me if they are.

I'm hearing that Tesco will be making people redundant, as they have moved most of their Irish buying from Irish based companies to the UK based versions of the same companies, only about 15-20% of their buying (mainly meat / veg, farmers stuff that the government highlighted to them as needing to stay here) will remain in ireland, word is about 250 jobs are going. So for example if they bough toiletries from XXX Irl Ltd, they are now buying from XXX UK ltd and shipping to Ireland.
As a knock on, a lot of people involved in the logistics of supplying to tesco from irish based companies are losing their jobs.
Of course Tesco have advised the government that they are doing this to save us the consumer money (absolutely nothing to do with them making more money on the currency differential).

So in terms of shopping up North, looks like Tesco will be sourcing their stuff there anyway!

Tesco's prices down here are well above those in the North.

I noticed that Tesco Own Brand Apple Shampoo is €1.59.

This used be €.99

It is even cheaper in the UK and NI.

Complete lack if competition down here.

look at it this way, if you shop up north, then you save more money to spend in the republic. everyone wins.

Something I was looking for recently, a rangemaster excel oven.
Irish company. 3194e
Uk company 2186e

maybe 100e on the uk for delivery. I eventually ordered from a shop in newry for very close to that online uk price after getting a recommendation from someone on here.

Who are "they"?

People get paid less in Northern Ireland, if we all got paid the same as them then prices would be lower. Is that what you mean?

I mean the Government. 'They' want us to shop in the Republic, however they allow inflated prices higher than our neighbours over the border.

They may get paid a little less, however their cost of living is lower. I lived in the UK, got paid less than I do here, and yet was better off financially when I was over there.

I think it’s admirable that some people still have a sense of patriotism and place some value on what’s good for the country.

I disagree. I've stated on an older related thread that my family did this in the 80's. We bought Irish as much as possible to support the economy. Our reward was rip off Ireland. I'm voting with my pocket this time around.

They may get paid a little less, however their cost of living is lower. I lived in the UK, got paid less than I do here, and yet was better off financially when I was over there.
When everyone in the country gets a 25% pay rise the cost of living goes up 25% and noone is better off in real terms. That's what the Celtic Tiger has given us.

The Minister for Finance does not want us to shop in the North as it is lost revenue for our government.

Maybe our Government should not have broken the link with sterling, should not have paid for the M1 to get us up there quicker, should not have negotiated for a peace deal that got rid of the border ?

And was it not a prominent member of our Government that urged us to shop around for value ?

PS Toy'R'Us in Sprucefield, Lisburn, were offering 81p to the Euro at the weekend.

Maybe we should not have started all that both in 1916 or the early 20's?