Shopping in Shanghai

Mininv

Just wondering if anyone knows of any goods which are especially good value in China? Im off to Shanghai next week so thought I might stock up on things that are cheaper than home, especially electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Electronics are good, but take local advice as prices are 'variable'. When I was there i bought DVDs, clothes, bags, silk fabric. Clothes especially were great value - go to the 'small goods market'. Full of fakes but fun. Bargain hard and don't be afraid to walk away. Weedkay evenings are much cheaper then weekend mornings (the starting prices halved!). Great value and excellent fun. You can even buy a suitcase to bring it all back!

A suitcase full of electronics may attract attention from Customs at Dublin Airport. I believe that they are much more vigilant in this regard nowadays.

Beware of weight restrictions coming back. If you're close to the limit on the way out and have an extra suitcase on the way back, they will charge you through the nose for the extra weight.

From memory, a large suitcase weighing 20 kg costs around €300 to take on the plane, or €200 to ship home from that part of the world.