Shopping in NY

AONEILL

Hey all

Going to NY in over a week's time. Are the outlet department stores worth going to? I heard Jersey Gardens are worthwhile?
What's the procedure with getting 11% off purchased items in Macy's? Also any recommendations on other good places to shop other than the usuals? Top sights!

Thanks in advance

what about new clothes bought from US, will there a chance custom will slam a tax on them?

I was in NY last xmas would not recommend Jersey Gardens! Obviously it depends on the type of stuff you are after....My 2 sisters and I went there and felt it was a waste of a day when on 4 day break...the quality even in the designer concessions was like Penneys alot of Polyester and Nylon! Usually you can at least buy for the kids, we could not even find bits for our 3 kids 6, 3 and 1year old......like a bad shopping centre in Ireland in the late 80's.....it is even carpeted.!!
Was in Woodbury previously and loved it well worth the trip....it is huge and other than being too big for a day is quite refreshing as is laid out as a village so you are in and out and not in air-con all day, need to have an idea of what you want and have the map printed...site is
Soho is all cool for browsing and buying pretty things.... also Greenwich Village and East village for browsey shops and to eat....the prices are similar to here however.....we enjoyed that most and also bloomingdales.....you go to customer service desk and get discount there also ...think it may have been 11%, fab jeans and are current stock as opposed to the rubbish in Filenes Basement and daffys,(also v.dirty).....best of luck, wish i was off again.....
FifiB

yep definately head to Woodbury Commons if you are not driving there is buses that will bring you there and back again.

Going to disagree with previous posters on woodbury Common. Total waste of time. About an hour away on the bus that costs about $40 per person. So if you are going as a couple you need to spend to get the value of the bus out.

Most of the stuff there can be got in century 21 near ground zero.

will the irish custom tax u on the new clothes bought from US?

will the irish custom tax u on the new clothes bought from US?

We just pulled the tags off everything in the event that we were stopped...at least we could just claim they were our own!

Just to comment also on Jersey garden - it is closer than Woodbury and you can get a bus there for about $7. I personally didnt find it a waste of time but then again all I was buying was jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts -cant really go wrong with them. Look around for smaller shops as well -there's some really nice trendy places around NoLita now....also Anthropologie is defo worth a look -

I was over there a couple of weeks ago. I was very disappointed with Woodbury Commons. There is a large selection of shops but I found that the shops were quiet small and did not really offer a large selection.

On the other hand, I was very impressed by Jersey Gardens. Alot closer to Manhattan, indoors (nice soft carpet!!), and just as many shops. On arriving, go straight to Marshalls where you can get a trolley, end up saving you from hours of walking around carrying bags. "Steve and Barry" was excellent for presents for the family, t-shirts, university hoodies etc. Check out http://www.jerseygardens.com/go/dirlisting.cfm?fl=all for a listing of stores.

WC was $38 return from Port Authority and JG was something like $11 return from PA.

Had no problems with customs.

What's the procedure with getting 11% off purchased items in Macy's?

Go to the Visitor Centre and produce either your passport or credit card and hey presto. The 11% also works against items already marked down.

I have been to woodbury common, and would recommend it, but you need to have a reasonably good idea of what you are looking for. Its very easy to flit your time away on stores you wouldn't buy from, so if its unlikely you'll shop in Channel leave it until the end of the day.
Personally I normally decided what sort of stuff I'm looking for, work / casual / kids, and print off the map of the stores, and plan out how to get around.... with the plan in place I can get to Liz claibourne / Gap / Polo / Carters / company cosmetic shop first, and after i've seen my first preference location, I'll offload my stuff into a locker then relax and meander around.
I'm heading back in january, and considering renting a car for the day as there will be 4 of us, and it works out cheaper!
Regarding the customs coming back I believe that you should declare anything purchases above Eu175, so far no-one I know has been approached by customs to check their stuff it does seem to be voluntary.

Go to the Visitor Centre and produce either your passport or credit card and hey presto. The 11% also works against items already marked down.

In case it's not clear from this, you go to the visitor centre before you do your shopping and get a bar-coded card which is used at the till each time you buy something.

Back