Shopping In New York

As with any rule or law, the hope is that it won't be broken but we cannot force people to obey and so everyone chooses to comply or not. So it is up to each individual to make their own decisions about what they do. I'm not saying that's right but it's how it is.

You're intent on thinking something false of me - go ahead. I will continue to do as much of my shopping as possible somewhere with a more realistic VAT/sales tax rate.

Doesn't mean I won't be paying tax on it. I frequently shop on internet sites outside the EU. Customs levy a charge on it before it's delivered and I still save 30%+ compared to the shops here. Ditto for paying on entry.

Folks

Stay on topic. I have deleted the Letting Off Steam posts relating to "Buy Irish". If Frequent Posters want to discuss this, then they can do so in the appropriate forum in a new thread.

Advising people of their obligation to pay taxes is on-topic as it affects the savings calculation.

Brendan

Just bumping this thread up as I'm going to New York next month.

So if anyone has any more recent tips for shopping in New York can they please post them?

Thanks!

Just bumping this thread up as I'm going to New York next month.

So if anyone has any more recent tips for shopping in New York can they please post them?

Thanks!

Same here. I am heading there in early Sept for 3 nights.

Yes there is especially in shoes converse which cost €60 here can be got for €30 here. Electronics also I got a flash for my canon which worked out at €120 compared to €490 here. I also got a wrangler skirt which was $16 in strawberry which retails are €180 here.

If you plan on seeing the sights I would recommend the NY pass. We saved a lot using this with the added bonus that everything was payed for before we went meaning we didn't have to think twice about paying to go up the Empire State, or on a cruise etc.

B+H is amazing for electronics we bought a lot there and saved hundreds.

Payless is a great shoe store with all shoes averaging about $20 from flats, to heals, boots everything. For branded shoes footlocker or journey are both great Journey in particular as they sell styles not available over here.

For clothes strawberry is really good for cheap non branded clothes.

If you want to go to see a show try broadwaybox.com they have huge discounts we went to see 4 shows last month and got them all at 50% off and they were all orchestra seating so we had the best view. The usual discounts are about 20-60% from there.

Just a warning on Payless shoes...very few of them are leather. The majority are plastic and your feet sweat in them big time. For shoes you can't beat DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse), there's one near Ground Zero. I got Guess heels for $20!

HI
I was in New York in May and your first stop should be Woodbury Common. Found really good deals on designer clothes, shoes and bags. Guess,Juicy,Nine West and Nike in particular are well worth the visit. My advice is to print out a map as the place is huge and circle the shops you'd like to visit on the plane over, it will save you time and your feet from aching any more than they have to!!
I think Woodbury is miles better than Jersey Gardens, a little further out but much better.
Enjoy!!

Yes I would agree. We went to woodbury common in new jersey 2 yrs ago and the savings on gents clothing for me (hilfiger, ralph loren, timberland etc) and handbags for herself (guess etc) are fantastic. There is a definite saving of at least 50/60 % on the same goods bought here and the selection is great. Give yourself plenty of time there as it is huge and if I was going there again I would get there as early as possble. We got a train from Penn station that goes to a stop very near woodbury and then got a waiting taxi to the outlet centre.
Macy's is also great, especialy with their discount card but not as good value as woodbury. We did'nt fancy century 21, too much time sent rooting around.
We spent 8 days in new york, making a holiday out of it, visiting friends in long island and all that sight seeing stuff. Coney island can be accessed for 2 dollars each return from the centre of manhattan, new york underground, bless it!!
I personally think going to the big apple for shopping alone would have to be specific items that are very expensive here. Other than that the price of the flights and accommodation does'nt warranty the financial outlay.

We went to woodbury common in new jersey 2 yrs ago

Woodbury Common is in New York State, Jersey Gardens is in New Jersey!

Personally I don't think either of them are worth the trip if you're only in NY for 3 days! There are great discounts to be had in all the shops in Manhattan, sales rails everywhere. Discount card in Macy*s and Bloomingdales, DSW and Filenes Basement and TJ MAxx for discounts. You're in one of the greatest cities in the world, why waste time travelling to shops. Shop as you go?

Have been to both. If I had to pick it would definitely be Woodbury but not on a 3 day trip, that's a whole day gone.

Schmile - I am heading to NY in December and am at the moment thinking of buying a camera. I just noticed you bought photography equipment and if I was to wait, do American cameras work fine here. I am looking along the lines of Nikon D2h and lens. I want it for sports, mainly soccer, photos.

I am now presuming if I can buy one in NY I will save a small fortune?

Yea you will. While I bought my canon here I bought all my lens and accessories in B&H. Cameras over there work here no bother. We recently purchased two compact samsungs during the recent trip which work no bother here.
Comparing B&H with dabs.ie (I have no affiliation with either of these they are just the two I am most familiar with note that dabs prices are also a fair amount cheaper than store prices in ROI)
I saved
Canon 580 flash - Dabs €502
B&H $ 370 (€260.73)

Canon 75-300 lens - Dabs €296
B&H $159 (€112)

We got a few more lenses and the prices were also cheaper.
Take for example my actual camera at current savings
Canon 450d with 18-55 lens - Dabs €704.35
B&H $659 (€464)

Total savings €666 (roughly)
Obviously the more expensive the product the more you save. I searched both sides for your Nikon and neither had in stock to compare it seems to be an old model there is probably a newer model out since (I am not familiar with Nikons sorry)

There are clear savings to be made I would recommend having a look at both of these sites as well as dp preview (a good site for checking out reviews)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com (www.bhphotovideo.com)

Thanks a mill for that. That Nikon is prob an old model and I will hold off now until nearer the time. I take shots at the moment with Olympus SP560UZ, and while it is a great camera all round I need something better for the soccer field! I will def wait until I get to NY now. Cant wait!

If you are buying a good DSLR, I suggest not bothering with the kit lens because once you get another lens (and trust me, you will!) you will never use the kit lens again. You can buy the body only, no problem.

Be sure to buy a good camera bag also which can carry at least your camera and two lenses. Also a second camera battery is a godsend.

Oops, forgot to mention that UV filters for your lenses are a great idea, stops the surface getting scratched and its cheaper to replace a filter than a lens.

I have been to b&h photo in ny and it's excellent

I second that and the UV filter answer. Personally I did get the lens with the camera and find the 18-55 goes well with my 35mm and 75-300. I decided not to go for UV filters in b&h and instead bought them on ebay after along with spare batteries, flash filters and flower hoods. I did however get a bag in b&q they have a really great selection and will help you choose the right one for you. The guy even took a camera off the shelf to see if it fit well. I got a tamrac one for €20 which fits my slr, two lenses, flash, filters, batteries, two digital dictaphones and more. its great to have everything in one bag.

What about electronics such as laptops, nintendos etc. Are they worth buying over there. I'm heading over in a week and seem to think I can buy everything with the dollars I have

schmile and KatieC, thanks a million for that. You both obviously know what ye are talking about. What would ye recommend for taking photos at soccer matches, sometimes the sun shines, sometimes it is dull, dark, cloudy and , believe it or not, sometimes it rains . is there anything in particular I should look out for. Thanks

i cant believe some of the comments in this forum. new york is off the wall for shopping..
the states dont rip you off either. abercrombie hoodies for 59 dollars, juicy tracksuits for 160 dollars, uggs for 120 dollars, if you convert these to euros its pure proof of savings. also tiffanys jewelry which is so much cheaper. you so gotta go..

It depends what you are planning on spending I hear the new Canon 500d is meant to be great. Personally I find my 450 is perfect. I used it right through college for commercial photography, photojournalism and advanced photography. I also use it in my job (journalist) and it has never failed me.
I am off to India for a month tomorrow and my 450 will be accompanying me throughout the trip.

Just make sure you have a good lens (I find the 75-300 is great for close ups whereas I use the basic 18-55 more for personal use) With my 75-300 I was able to get a crystal clear up close picture of the statue of liberty from the empire state.
If you go into somewhere like B&H they will be able to recommend you whats best for you. They really are very helpful and will let you hold and try out cameras too so you can have a good idea before you buy. Don't worry too much about filters/ protectors/ cases etc. They can all be bought for half nothing on ebay after but do try and get them.