shopping in new york

K

kennomurf

I am going to new york next month for sightseeing and shopping.
any advice on clothes and fags that are allowed to be brought home without any further taxes !

The allowance is 200 cigarettes per person and I think it's only €175 in other goods,clothes etc.

Taking off tags and even wearing new clothes before you pack them is a good start but customs is a complete lottery. I've never been stopped but I've seen plenty of other who have been.

With clothes you could also try posting some stuff home before you leave the US.

Check out [broken link removed] on information about shopping in the USA. Another site is the www.revenue.ie on how much you can bring back

Last saturday's magazine in the Indo has a great feature on shopping in NY. Century 21 at 7.30am is a good tip for bargains if only for the bit of peace shopping. Also Macy's do a sale every Wednesday. Make sure to bring your passport to the visitor's office to get your 10% voucher on all purchases within the store including ones already marked down. Bloomingdales do the same. If you want to go to the outlets in Jersey, I was in Jersey Gardens and did serious damage to the credit card there. Dont know what Woodbury Commons is like but have heard its good.
Enjoy. Its a great city.

hi
does anyone know what the actual rate of tax is on goods (personal use) brought in from USA over the €145 limit (as per revenue website) I can't find where it says the actual rate charged.

thanks

s

hi
does anyone know what the actual rate of tax is on goods (personal use) brought in from USA over the €145 limit (as per revenue website) I can't find where it says the actual rate charged.

thanks

s

I would imagine its the normal vat rate of 21%

hi

thanks

s

I would imagine its the normal vat rate of 21%

Unfortunately that's not all that is charged (and the limit is now €175). It depends on the type of goods purchased but there is duty as well as VAT and they are applied on top of each other. First the duty is applied and for clothes this is 12% for outside the EU plus a surcharge of 15% for clothes coming from the US; and then the VAT is charged after the duty has been added. So if you have to pay on say €1,000 of adult clothes, the extra charge would 27% of €1,000 plus 21% of €1,270 - a whopping total of 53.6%.

The rates of duty are really hard to find on the revenue website - the schedule of duties is broken down at a very detailed level so there are 100s of pages - I don't know why they can't have a page of the most commonly imported retail goods - clothes for adults, clothes for kids, shoes, dvds, cameras, mp3s etc. It took me ages to decipher the duties and I was pretty shocked at the duty charges as I always understood these were relatively small.

BTW, the duty rates are EU-wide rates rather than locally-set ones.