Shopping for tiles

Bibi

I'm looking for recommendations for well priced tile retailers with good selections for bathrooms and floors. It's hard to know where to start to compare prices outside my immediate area.

I'm in Munster but have heard that you can get good bargains in the north, any other recommendations are much appreciated.

Why would you travel to the North for tiles- there are so many tile outlets in the republic now, with sales every other month it doesn't make economic sense? Have you considered the weight of tiles- unless you can get the tiles delivered it wouldn't be worth the hard work (time off, travel, handling, petrol)?

Right price tiles in Limerick have 70% off across the whole range at the moment including slate and porcelain tiles they are located just after the Raheen roundabout across from the South Court hotel.
I have no connection with this store by the way, just heard the advert on the radio yesterday and thought it may be helpful for you.
May be worth checking out.

http://www.rightpricetiles.ie/

Good Luck

Right Price Tiles are also in Cork - they used to be Railway Tile Store. They've also opened Designer Tiles - next door! I vowed I would never buy from them but they really are good value - I got Travertine Beige Marble tiles for €30 per sq yard - priced elsewhere for about €70+++

I don't like their marketing strategy - they advertise tiles from just €6/€7 per sq yard BUT they have 2 colours and you have to take an equal amount of both colours, you have to take the border and the one that we looked at was made up of 3 parts - 2 pencil and main border - came to about €12EACH! When I totted it up and divided by the sq yard that we actually needed, it equated to about €22 per sq yard! Big difference between €6! So we went elsewhere - out of principal! I can only imagine how many first time buyers they've caught!

Whatever you do don't buy the adhesive from Right Price Tiles. Their tiles are cheap and good quality but the make it up on the price of the adhesive. I paid €30 per bag when I could have got it for €10 down the road!!!

never buy adhesive, grout etc from the tile shop, always a big mark up over the DIY shops in my experience

Most tilers prefer to use their own brand of grout/cement/adhesive never purchase this yourself your tiler should have no problem in supplying the above and they usually get it at a discounted price when they buy it.

Good Luck

Tile MArket in Limerick have a good selection, their sale is just over but I bought polihed porcelain there yesterday and they gave it to me at the sale price, well I haggled a little as I was getting 47sq yards of the stuff.
Also haggled on the adhesive and grout as I have priced it literally everywhere so knew how much I should be paying, ended up getting it for a lot less than it should have been adn got them to deliver free.
PAys to be bold.
The guy in Right Price Tiles told us not to but their adhesive as it is so expensive.

Just a little observation. When we were shopping for tiles we brought home lots of samples, some very expensive, and some very cheap. We then lined them up side by side with some friends and asked them to pick the nicest tiles. There was a difference of over €40 per sq yard between the cheapest and the dearest. There was a unanimous decision in favour of the second cheapest tile. Which just goes to show that what looks gorgeous in those glitzy showrooms in those expensive tile shops doesn't necessarily look so great when you get it home!

We saw tiles in Atlantic Homecare at the weekend, that looked the sort of colour I wanted for about €8, do you think they would be any good for that price? I don't really know about tiles, is it worth spending loads, or can you get away with the cheap ones?

Depends on your taste are you happy with the look of the product as you may have a look at it for a good few years before deciding to change it.
Also in a lot of cases cheap tiles were more expensive and just got cheaper over time. If you have any doubts buy one tile sample and have your tiler look at it I'm sure it's fine don't be put off just because the product is cheap it may be a bargain if you are perfectly happy with the look of them.

Good Luck

Folks,

Can you guys recommend me someone who does tiling?

I need to do my flooring for kitchen & living.

How much would it cost me?

Thanks

We got tiles hall and kitchen tiles from Atlantic at a very reasonable price. I had second thoughts after I bought them but I'm glad now that we did. (Everyone comments on them when they see the house!) As for adhesive and grout. DO NOT BUY FROM BTW (tilesavers) in Naas!! We made a huge mistake by buying from them on the spur of the moment and paid a fortune. I later had to buy waterproof adhesive and got it from my local hardware for less than half the price. DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!

Jam, we got tiles around that price and had no problems. Tiler lay them without any issues. The tiles we got look really good when they're laid.

The tile outlet where you buy your tiles will most likely have a list of tilers for you. Expect to pay ~€15-€18 per sq. yard. More if you're having slate or marble - these will also need to be sealed.