Shopping around for tile grout/adhesive

Lanigano

Hi,

Im trying to get some tiling done at the moment and im on a budget so am trying to get it as cheaply as possible. I got a quote for tiles in Right price tiles at €437 for 42sq yards which Im happy enough with but I was shocked at the price of the grout/adhesive. It works out at €358, am wondering is this the way the company make their profit, cheap tiles and screw u on the grout? Does anyone know where I could buy it more keenly or does this price sound about right? Also what should i expect to pay for a tiler in Mayo?

Thanks

The local builders providers are usually the best bet for grout and adhesive.
Leo

How much are you paying for 20kg bag and also what make. you should be paying around the 25€ mark

Hi,

Came across the same myself last year when i wanted to tile a small area. The grout and adhesive was nearly as expensive as the tiles. i just bought the tiles and bought the grout elsewhere - big saving. Did feel at the time like you that this must be how they are making their money.

I used to work for one of the main distributors of tile adhesives/grouts and I know for a fact that the the retail buying price for a fairly standard fast setting adhesive 20kg would be between 5-8 euro. Do the sums after that. Tile stores, Builders Merchants, diy stores make huge margins on these products.

S.B.

Thats a great help, thanks guys. So ye reckon i head to any builders providers and get it there then, ya?

Bought my quick set adhesive in Clondalkin Builder Providers - think I got it for €13 a bag and I'd guess it was a 20kg or 25kg bag.

I've done a fair bit of tiling over the last couple of years - kitchens, toilets, bathrooms etc. One thing I would recommend is not to get quick set! It's fine if you are only making up a small amount at a time and are quick at laying tiles, but if you're slow, taking you're time, or just get distracted, the cement can go off quite quick. It's fine otherwise, just a personal opinion, I now avoid it.

right price tiles are notoriously expensive when it comes to grout and adhesive. I imagine trying to offset the cheapness of their tiles. Tub n Tiles are very reasonable for their grout and adhesive.

Hi,

Does anyone know if €73 for 20kgs of flexible rapid set adhesive (Mapei Kera Quick) is expensive or the going price ?

I have also been quoted €20 for a 5kg bag of White Mould resistant flexible grout - again - is this what I can expect or are they pricey ?

Quick Google or a few phone calls to other suppliers should answer that easliy enough.
Leo

In my experience, yes they rip you off on the grout/adhesive. Pretend to buy the whole lot get your written quote and then simply say, no I'll just take the tiles. Then shop around for the rest again

Wickla, thats what we did, got a written quote off Right Price Tiles and went into B&Q and priced the same grout and adhesive, was quoted €557 in RPT and cost about €250 in B&Q.

RPT actually had the brand names on the quote so we could get the same stuff.

Can anybody tell me where i can purchase Mapei products. Dublin area if possible

Thanks
Steelblue

good flexible adhesive should be no more than €40 . mold resistant grout can cost €24 for a 10 kg bag