Shocking Stastic

E

eoin

Shocking Statistic

Saw an interesting item in that truely awful paper The Sunday Independent which brought home to me a very interesting point. The Sindo reported it as a quiz to also make the point. I got all the questions wrong so maybe posters here could have a go. Dont go working it out just rely on gut instinct. Its not a competition :)

1. If you go back one billion seconds what year is it?

2. If you go back one billion hours can you name a historical figure from this time?

3. If you go back one billion years what historical period is it?

4. In the time it takes the American Government to spend a billion dollars how far back in time would you go?

As a teacher I suppose you got annoyed reading the Ratemyteacher thread and needed to let off steam. Don't worry I understand. :rolleyes:

> 1. If you go back one billion seconds what year is it?

7000 BC

2. If you go back one billion hours can you name a historical figure from this time?

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately

> 3. If you go back one billion years what historical period is it?

No life on Earth, just a bunch of lava etc.

> 4. In the time it takes the American Government to spend a billion dollars how far back in time would you go?

I suspect a day or something crazy.

> 1. If you go back one billion seconds what year is it?

7000 BC

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately

Dont want to sound smart but going back one billion seconds is more recent than one billion hours.....

opps! - so it is :D
okay, swap answer one with answer two.

Can't figure out the username, but if you went back in time a billion seconds it'd be the summer of 1973? (31.7 years ago)

God, that'd be cool... :D
Except I'd be back in short pants again! :eek:

Re: Shocking Statistic

eoin said:
Saw an interesting item in that truely awful paper The Sunday Independent which brought home to me a very interesting point. The Sindo reported it as a quiz to also make the point. I got all the questions wrong so maybe posters here could have a go. Dont go working it out just rely on gut instinct. Its not a competition :)

1. If you go back one billion seconds what year is it?

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately Christ

3. If you go back one billion years what historical period is it?

Stone Age

4. In the time it takes the American Government to spend a billion dollars how far back in time would you go?

Eight and a Half Hours

How are you defining a billion? In Britain, a billion is usually one million million, whereas in the US it's a thousand million. Don't know about Ireland though!

umop3p!sdn said:
This seems way off to me. A billion years?
The age of the Earth has been estimated at about 4.5 billion years. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth)

[/b]

Yes, looking it up, you are quite right.

That statistic about the Stone Age is obviously wrong as its measured in millions not billions of years ago.

Thats the last time i even look at that paper.

Back