Shell to sea protester -absolutely disgraceful

There's no excuse for saying something like that, what a stupid and disgusting woman.

I'm sure if the FF govt took your land gave you a pittance for it then gave the land to a private company you'd be very angry too.

I wouldn't go around invoking the memory of a Garda in such a disgusting way. Thankfully, my parents brought me up better than that.

Yeah, I'd like to know what happened also. What exactly is she saying? The comments on the youtube link aren't very sympathetic towards her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe, but that's not what happened.

This is from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_to_Sea

Local landowners in Rossport were told that the raw gas pipeline would be coming through their lands. They would be subject to Compulsory Acqusition Orders if unable to reach a deal with Shell [4]. Some [5] agreed to allow Shell on their lands. Others refused, and Frank Fahey, then Minister for the Marine & Natural Resources signed 34 Compulsory Acquisition Orders. Those who had refused were threatened with legal action. Legal action was eventually brought against four landowning farmers and their former teacher who had joined them in blocking Shell workers coming on their lands, and lived in nearby Ceathrú Thaidhg. Bríd McGarry, who had also blocked Shell workers from her lands, was not brought to court. Mary Corduff is quoted in Our Story:The Rossport Five as having seen an internal Shell memo to the effect that McGarry was not to be brought to court because of her gender. The five men were sentenced to jail indefinitely after refusing to promise to allow Shell put the pipeline through. They became known as the Rossport Five.

Interesting stuff isn't it.

Some hippies don't want a gas pipeline built for some reason that's not entirely clear to anyone.

If you check the register of the Shell to Sea Campaign you'll former FF and FG activitis and others.

As for the hippies and tree huggers why don't you have a good read of the link I have posted.

In it you'll find

It has often been claimed that the IRA or Sinn Féin have an element of control over the Shell to Sea campaign. This story has been encouraged by the former Minister for Justice Michael McDowell, various national newspapers and local businessmen [11]. Members of many different political groups are involved in the campaign, and prominent local Sinn Féin member Paddy Ruddy works for Shell. Most local campaigners are former Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael supporters, and Philip McGrath, one of the Rossport Five, used to be an election agent for Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny.
Before this, members of the campaign were caricatured as tree-hugging hippies and "sub-intellectual" peasants[12]. Stories of infiltration by political activists from outside the area and intimidation of project supporters have also been rife, but these have been rubbished by local independent TD Jerry Cowley and local Fine Gael TD Michael Ring [13].

Some hippies don't want a gas pipeline built for some reason that's not entirely clear to anyone.

I meant what happened prior to that woman's comments?

I've just read the bit of info that the video clip poster included.

"Shell to Sea protestors at Glengad, Co. Mayo taunt security guards about the recent tragic death of a young Garda in Letterkenny."

I understand it now.

Have to say that that woman and her type bring out the very worst in me but I'm going to obey AAM's posting guidelines.......................! :mad:

I'm horrified that she could make that reference to the dead Garda. If she and her fellow travellers up there threw themselves down on the road in front of a lorry etc, and were driven over by it, they'd be the first ones looking for the Gardaí to arrest the driver. If I was running any kind of campaign or protest, I'd be utterly embarrassed and mortified if this woman had anything to do with it.

A compulsory purchase order does not give the land owned a “pittance”. That’s the point I was making.

What happened the five farmers? Didn't four of them stop their protest when they got some cash from Shell? Talking about selling out.

A compulsory purchase order does not give the land owned a “pittance”. That’s the point I was making.

It is when you don't want to sell.

Not to mention there are serious questions about the safety aspects of having gas lines running through peoples properties, considering the huge pressure the gas is under.

Not to mention there are serious questions about the safety aspects of having gas lines running through peoples properties, considering the huge pressure the gas is under.

yea that must be some huge technical obstacle that an massive oil and gas company has never faced before. :rolleyes:

Back