Shed blocking sun light

Caili

Does anyone know where/who (if anywhere) you can complain to about neighbours shed blocking sun light into your garden? Have asked neighbour to move it but they wont!!

Pretty sure that you cannot lodge a complaint to your concil about this unless it's a huge monstrosity. I posted a comment a couple of days ago where DCC told me "light is no longer grounds for objecting to a planning application.

Anyway, I assume that by calling it a shed it would be exempt (because of the overall size) from Planning requirements. [broken link removed]

Roy

Once the shed is within planning reqs , I don't think there is much you can do except talk to them.

Our neighbours built an extension onto their house and our patio was unsightly for a year until we built ours (an extra 2 ft past theirs). we couldn't do anything at the time.

I have a big (sub25m) shed with a flat roof -2m high and am going to change it to an apex roof 4m high as per planning. it will block a small amount of sun light from my neighbours garden but do I not get extra storage space because of them !!!!

One was never entitled to a view. Such things are too subjective to be enforceable.

Are you sure about this? A friend of ours has a beautiful sea view. Her neighbour intends building a garage (houses are offset), which will block most of her view. She's been told that a few years ago she could have fought on the grounds that it blocked her view but 'it has been done away with'.

She's paying this guy to fight the planning on her behalf and asks for updates on what he's doing for the money...the above advice was given last week!

One was never entitled to a view. Such things are too subjective to be enforceable.
This is my understanding as well.

Our neighbour in front of us is about to build an extension which will partially block our sea view - we checked with our solicitor who advised that views have never been an objectionable issue - light and privacy apparently still are.

As per other posts nobody has a right to a view but they do indeed have a legal right to natural light as opposed to direct sunlight.

For a shed that is sited and built in accordance with the conditions attached to the exempted development catagories it would be near impossible for it to block light from a neighbouring house but it still can happen.

As per other posts nobody has a right to a view but they do indeed have a legal right to natural light as opposed to direct sunlight.

Hi nutty could you give a practical example of what this means ie. natural light as opposed to direct sunlight?

Ambient light - e.g. light from the north of your site/house.
If a building is built north of your house, but close to it, then it will decrease the amount of light getting to your house, despite the fact that it is not blocking the sun.

(Sunlight only comes from east, south or west).

Thats why he is superman - beat me to it with the speed of light (no pun intended )

Fully agree with superman

Thanks Superman for clarification.........

I'm looking to build a 2 storey extension on a semi detached which will have pretty much no impact on my neighbours (thats my view anyway). If they don't object is it likely the planners will grant permission?

Roy