Sharpening Kitchen Knives

Strathspey

Where can one get their kitchen knives sharpened. Do the retail stores that sell kitchen ware maybe provide this as a service like gift wrapping?

I wouldnt think its a service like gift wrapping?! not very safe to be behind a counter with a till drawer full of cash and sharpening a random persons bunch of knives ;) :D

U can buy a sharpening stone, im guessing best place to find the best ones is ask any chef??
Just a suggestion

I got a knife sharpener in Debenhams not so long ago, they may still have them. If not try a kitchen suppliers

Tescos sell knife/scissors sharpeners for about 3-4 euro. I got one recently and it does the trick.

Bear in mind that you need to have good quality blades to actually 'keep' the edge once it's sharpened. Don't wash them in the dishwasher, and rub a bit of olive oil or veg oil on them to prevent rusting.

U can buy a sharpening stone, im guessing best place to find the best ones is ask any chef??
Just a suggestion

Hardware shops sell sharpening stones. Check out the carpentry tool section. they are used for sharpening chisels and will work perfectly well on knives, as long as you know how to use one correctly.

Some of those automatic can openers have a knife sharpening function on the back.
Very handy

[broken link removed] This is a very good link on basic knife care. I picked it up from Boards.ie

Back