Sharp LC32P50E

Satanta

Was browsing a few TVs and had a quick question regarding this particular one.....

Web site (komplett) have it listed as a HD ready
Sharp Aquos 32" LCD-TV LC32P50E, 800:1, 12ms, HDMI HD-ready
[broken link removed]

Shop (and Sharp web-site) has it down as a HD compatible
[broken link removed]

Guessing that sharp know what they make but wondered if there was any reason for the error other than a slip on the web-site? (i.e. lack of understanding on my part)

Also.... anyone has any views/thoughts on the set I'd love to hear them. Looking at the prices available on the net and around a few suppliers one retailer appears to be offering an excellent price (did spend a while nocking the guy down to it but more than worth it)!

Hi Setanta,

I am also shopping for a TV and have come up against the same problem as yourself.

I looked at the Sharp Model you are looking at. (32P50) This is on sale at the moment in Power City for €1149 plus a free DVD player!, so the price is good. The guy I spoke to in DID with regard to this model said it is not HD ready, but HD compatible. I dont know the full technical jargon on this, but the jist ofwhat he told me was that when HD did come in, that you might not get a full size picture on the screen. I am not technical, so I don't know what that would entail, but anyway I decided not to go for that model on the strength of that.

The other model I looked at was LG 32L55. In Power City, they told me this was HD ready, the guy in DID said he wasnt sure, but it said on LG website that it was, but they had not advertised it as such, and finally the guy in Curry's said that this model was definitely not HD ready and that I would have to go for the newer model up from this for HD ready. So, three different answers from three different retailers.

I also looked at the Komplett website, which said both TV's (Sharp & LG) are HD ready. By the way, the next LG model up from the one I looked at was retailing at €1,499 in Curry's but only €1,299 on Komplett. So there are also large price variations to be had.

Venturing out again tomorrow to look at these things, sure I will be an expert by the time I have finished.

Hi
There's a great thread on this TV at
[broken link removed]

Satanta / MandaC,

This a good TV.

Features I like :
It auto-senses the input (i.e. turn on cable box and it automatically switches to cable input). We never use the TV remote control any more, just the power on/off button on the top.
Auto power-off i when there is no input signal.
OPC brightens and darkens the picture according to the brightness of the room which it detects with a light sensor on the front. Works very well and very discreetly.
Speakers under the screen looks better than to the side (I think)
Loads of input options on the back.

Can't really comment on picture quality compared to other models, but we bought based on what we saw in the shop, and bought another for a relative recently on the same basis.

I did notice a problem with lip-sync a while ago, and never found out was it the cable, or the TV that was the problem. Have probably got used to it now, or else the problem has fixed itself, either way I don't notice it. You should check this in the shop.

Rock said:
Hi
There's a great thread on this TV at
[broken link removed]
Having read through some of this thread, and also the reviews on www.homecinemachoice.com (e.g. [broken link removed] - PDF window), the consensus seems to be that this TV is optimised for current sources i.e. PAL TV and DVD. It looks great on DVD especially through a HDMI cable.

However, it is not "HD Ready" as per the strict definition as the display resolution is not up to the job.

So, if you are not planning to get Sky HD in and are content to stick with normal DVDs for the next few years before investing in a High Def disc format, then you will be happy with this TV.

For the money, I personally would go with the Samsung on Komplett.ie.

Back