Sharing Satellite Broadband connection

hjrdee

Just finished building a house in a rural area where there is no Broadband option other than satellite. No coverage for Mobile broadband and our local exchange has not being enabled, and anyway we live about 8 miles from the exchange so thats ruled out anyway.

So here's my solution:

My parents like about 50 metres from our new house and I plan to sign up to satellite broadband and share the connection with them and split the costs. The 2MB two-way option with someone like NBB, or TOOWAY seem to be about €120 per month so that would be €60 each. I know this seems high for a 2MB connection, but for satellite broadband I think its more than acceptable.

My question(finally!) is in relation to sharing the satellite connection: Will this work? I'm looking at something like this to share the connection:

[broken link removed]

as the range quoted claims 1,400 feet. Most of what I've read of wireless networks mentions extending a dsl network, so I'm wondering if this would work with satellite?

Thanks in advance!

I've never seen a satellite setup, but the one thing i thing i'm sure about is it needs a landline dialup for data upload, not sure how that would work out for 2 houses.

I've never seen a satellite setup, but the one thing i thing i'm sure about is it needs a landline dialup for data upload, not sure how that would work out for 2 houses.

Not necessarily so, depending on what system you choose, you can get bi-directional satellite links - as the OP seems to have opted for.

I have no experience with the product mentioned, but there are certainly wireless networking technologies out there that will do what you want - I have no idea of costs though. In general, I'm not a fan of Belkin products.

Thanks for your reply Dearg....Do you have a different recommendation for a wireless product? Just trying to see if this will work before I go and order it. No point in both houses buying satellite, as my mother uses it mainly during the day and we'll only use it on the evening so sharing seems like a logical option.

Anybody got any experience of something similar?

Thanks

It's not something I've worked with so I'm not in a position to recommend one product over another - in fact I couldn't even suggest a product. I imagine you are more likely to need something like these products rather than a home/office wireless router: