Sharing a recruitment bonus

I offered to set up a coffee with a senior person....

I'd be going back to the senior person, telling him of your concerns based on what you now know. The offer to set up coffee was a form of endorsement - of you vouching for the new colleague. Knowing what you now know, would you still have done it? I know I wouldn't.

I'd be going back to the senior person, telling him of your concerns based on what you now know. The offer to set up coffee was a form of endorsement - of you vouching for the new colleague. Knowing what you now know, would you still have done it? I know I wouldn't.
Ah no. That’s a bit much. I’m just going to ignore the suggestion of paying her.

I was paid a similar bonus, when a relative by marriage was hired (the relationship was declared, I hasten to add, I had no involvement other than handing in a CV).

I gave the relative the net bonus. It wasn't exactly money I needed to pay bills and I felt the relative could use it.

There's no pockets in a shroud.

I was paid a similar bonus, when a relative by marriage was hired (the relationship was declared, I hasten to add, I had no involvement other than handing in a CV).

I gave the relative the net bonus. It wasn't exactly money I needed to pay bills and I felt the relative could use it.

There's no pockets in a shroud.

True, but did your relative ask for it? That is the crux of the question really. If you voluntarily decide to hand some or all of your net bonus over as a gift to them then that is entirely your decision and it is commendable of you to support your relative. In this case though, that isn't what is happening, the OP is being pressured to hand over some of their bonus for no reason other than someone else is being a bit greedy. The employer has gained by not having the expense of going to the market or using a recruitment agency to fill the position, that is the basic logic of such a bonus. So the equivalent question would be, would the person who has just got a new job demand half of a recruitment agent's fee? Essentially that is what they are doing by asking for that money.

Slightly off topic but I do recall hearing in times past that it was common for Eastern Europeans, when, helped by a fellow East European into a job, to hand over the first weeks wages to said fellow!

Possibly urban legend.

Slightly off topic but I do recall hearing in times past that it was common for Eastern Europeans, when, helped by a fellow East European into a job, to hand over the first weeks wages to said fellow! Possibly urban legend.

I wouldn't know too much re: the Eastern European angle but I think I remember reading about jobs in 19th century where the first weeks wages went to the person who hired you, even if they were the foreman \ boss on a lot more then person just hired.

No she has not. I haven’t brought her for dinner yet, but I will in February.

Says a lot.

I hate when people do things like what she has done. It makes you feel awkward when it is her that is in the wrong.

If she brings it up again, I'd be straight and say that you won't be sharing the money and you found it quite awkward that she brought it up. You connected her for the job to help her out and not for monetary gain...then sit in awkward silence for the rest of the meal :oops:

Says a lot.

I hate when people do things like what she has done. It makes you feel awkward when it is her that is in the wrong.

If she brings it up again, I'd be straight and say that you won't be sharing the money and you found it quite awkward that she brought it up. You connected her for the job to help her out and not for monetary gain...then sit in awkward silence for the rest of the meal :oops:
Eek. I know you’re right, but I still have her working here now so that’s awkward to do. I’ll just say I am very surprised she’s asking when I did her a favour, and that it’s not usual to share. I’m hoping it was just a try on and I’ll not hear about it again, although the dinner will remind her...

My other half was introduced to their current employer a couple of years ago by a friend - this friend received a substantial recruitment bonus, multiples of what your getting. The last thing we thought about was that it should be shared. The person referring in someone is taking all the risk and should be rewarded for same.

OP I would explain that to your friend and let them know that they can get their own bloody bonus by putting their own reputation on the line.

99% of the rules governing etiquette and general good manners are predicated upon the principle of not inconveniencing, discommoding or making people feel uncomfortable in the course of your personal, business or social interactions.

Your two friends would do well to reflect upon this point.

- I'd be tempted to withdraw the dinner offer and suggest that the meddlesome friend take her out instead given their accommodating and expansive views on the topic of generosity…..

Should she not be buying you dinner for finding her a new job? Is the payment subject to them staying for a minimum period?

Back