Share too expensive to buy

tolkarovers

Hi,
I'd like to invest in a share that is currently too expensive for me to buy?
Does anyone know of alternative methods to buy into a stock?
Thanks,
T

When you say it is too expensive, do you mean the price for one individual share? Or do you think it is overvalued?

Or that the charges associated with buying shares are too expensive?

If so, have you considered a unit linked fund or Exchange Traded Fund (ETF)?

if it is a high value share, and quoted on one of the main indices, could you try a spreadbet?

I'm guessing that the share in question is Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, which is trading at over $100,000 per share. You can, however, pick up 'B' class shares at 1/30th of the price ($3,600).

If it is Berkshire...see [broken link removed] for details.

No not berkshire :)

I think the share is good value - it's just too expensive for me to by much of it. Currently at 500 per share.

I was wondering if any brokers let you buy partial shares?
Thanks.

This wouldn't be a large search engine internet company, would it?

No not berkshire :)

I think the share is good value - it's just too expensive for me to by much of it. Currently at 500 per share.

I was wondering if any brokers let you buy partial shares?
Thanks.

I don't get your query.... How much you have to invest dictates how many shares you can buy rather than the price of a share dictating how much you can invest...

So, if you really what to buy this share at €500 a piece, and you have less than €500 to invest , then this share is simply not for you...
If you have €1k, then buy 2, etc....

Would brokers be willing/able to sell 2, 3, 4 etc. (a small number) of any given share?

If you know how to use them there is the possibility of using CFDs to gain access to the share without havnig to shell out 500 a pop.
Just a thought.

Would brokers be willing/able to sell 2, 3, 4 etc. (a small number) of any given share?

Some brokers will sell partial shares. Although usually this is in the context of a user purchasing several shares with a set amount of money (e.g. I invest €1250 @ €500 per share and am allocated 2.5 shares in my account).

I'd start ringing brokers and find out. Although, I'd question to logic of investing such a small amount in anything other than a simple low fees tracker, given the likely cost of the trade.

If you know how to use them there is the possibility of using CFDs to gain access to the share without havnig to shell out 500 a pop.
Just a thought.

Margin requirements will probably be higher than €500 for a brokerage account with CFD facilities.

You can buy 1 if you want with online trading...But as room305, i questionned the logic of doing so, as the fee may represent a large % of the investment.

Usually each transaction is subject to a minimun fee (in around €5/€7 i think, but depends), and then is % based above certain amount. But again varies depending on the broker used for online trading.

I would have thought that it would be hard to find 1 or 2 shares to sell-I'm obviously wrong?

Back