Shannon stopover and immigration

DublinBoy834

I am going over to New York on Delta in early december and we are stopping in Shannon. Will I have to do immigration in Dublin or Shannon? I am going with my mum who is 73 and want to know what is ahead of us.

If anybody has any experience of shannon with me I would really appreciate it.

Immigration will be in Shannon. It's a waste of time. You just get off the plane, go round in a circle and get back on and you have to take everything with you.

As far as I can recall, with Aer Lingus ( I think the same applies for Delta ) you clear in Dublin and are taken off in Shannon and are free to roam the Duty Free area. Your doc's are examined again as you re-board but you have already been cleared. Make sure you both have the electronically readable passports.

Apologies......I just checked my passport and I was indeed cleared in Shannon...

you can ask for wheelchair assistance on both sides, this should make life a little bit easier.

I disagree with the point of still having to queue for ever in America. Last year I flew over via London (who don't have US immigration pre-departure) and the queues were horrendous to get through immigration. Earlier this year I flew direct from Dublin and all I had to do was go straight to baggage reclaim; granted there were queues for customs but was only held up about 15 minutes in it.

Queueing for a long time stateside is certainly my experience on most of my recent trips to the US (about 3 a year these days).

I flew Shannon-Newark this year, cleared Immigration in Shannon and breezed through in Newark. No hassle at all.

I did DUB-NEWARK in January and also was not delayed either in Newark or Dublin. It was like arriving on a domestic flight except we had to make a customs declaration. Took no time at all.

I did DUB-NEWARK in January and also was not delayed either in Newark or Dublin. It was like arriving on a domestic flight except we had to make a customs declaration. Took no time at all.

That echos my experience with Continental of a half dozen or so trips this year. Newark is overall a better experience than JFK in my opinion.

There is no comparison between the length of the queues. The longest I have ever spent is 10mins on flights where I clear immigration in Ireland. On flights that have routed through other euro airports, it has taken me anywhere from 30-60 mins to get though immigration in the US.
This experience is based on a variety of US and European Airports.

I have to concur, once flew from LHR to JFK and spent 2 hours at Immigration. Never again. Newark is so much easier to clear when flying from Ireland and get into New York using the train.

Hi just as a matter of interest did you have any problems getting insurance for your mother. We are flying to NY in Jan with my Dad who will be 80 on return and are having terrible trouble.

Thanks for all your answers, it will give me an idea of what to expect. She got her insurance from VHI without any problems.

The only problem we had going through immigration was when my wife attempted to give her fingerprints. Apparently because her hands were cold the machine couldn't read them. She was asked to rub her fingers against her forehead to get some oil on her fingers. When this didn't work the lady behind the counter held my wifes finger against the pad quite forcibly. Unfortunately my wife suffers from arthritis in her fingers. It was not a pleasant experience for her. She called out in pain but this fell on deaf ears.

Make sure you both have the electronically readable passports.

You DO NOT need RFID electronically readable passports to enter US. You need standard machine readable passports.

RFID passports will be the scourge of our future

[broken link removed]

We all need to lobby the Dept. Foreign Affairs to stop from forcibly introducing RFID electronically readable passports.