Shannon-Heathrow

So how come at least one FG TD (Seymour Crawford) has broken with his party's stance on the Shannon issue and publicly welcomed the Aer Lingus decision?

Fishing for votes?

Is your whole argument based on the opinion of a local politician?

Well, I live 100 miles from Belfast International and 70 from Dublin Airport. I use Belfast whenever possible as it takes me less time to drive 100 miles up there than 70 miles through gridlock to get to Dublin.
I thought there was a motorway from Dundalk to Dublin now, and there is a mixed road from Dundalk to Belfast international.
Indeed, but this logic also applies against Shannon?
But in Shannon there is no alternative. If I lived in Portlaoise, and I wanted to make an onward connection to the fareast then I would choose Dublin - LHR instead of Shannon - LHR.

Thats all that matters here, connectivity from Heathrow, and 3 extra flights from Belfast international will not make much difference.

People going to London for shopping / matches / pleasure tend to use Ryanair or Easijet anyway.

Who said I'm from Dundalk?

Who said I'm from Dundalk?

Nobody said it, but you told us that it will benefit the people of Dundalk, in fact you even suggested that it will be to the advantage of the people of Dundalk by about the same amount as it will be to the disadvantage of the people from the midwest.

I doubt it will make any difference to the people of Dundalk because Dublin is closer and offers more connectivity.

I still don't see how 3 flights a day will make any difference to the people of Dundalk.

Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
My point is that improved transport links from the North East to LHR benefits the North-East in the same way that reduced transport links from the Mid West to LHR hurts the Mid-West
My quote does not imply that the positive effect on the North East will outweigh the negative effect on the Mid West. To pretend otherwise is either disingenuous, self-serving or both.

I still don't see how 3 flights a day will make any difference to the people of Dundalk.

My entire point relates to the North East as a region, not just Dundalk, a place that happens to have better transport links than anywhere else in the North East and which stands to benefit less from the Belfast move than anywhere else in the North East.

I suspect you are picking on Dundalk rather than Monaghan, Cavan & even Leitrim & Donegal (which aren't even in the North East), because you can't credibly argue that the new flights from Belfast won't benefit the people of these counties, as well as the people of Louth.

Well, I live 100 miles from Belfast International and 70 from Dublin Airport. I use Belfast whenever possible as it takes me less time to drive 100 miles up there than 70 miles through gridlock to get to Dublin.

I know this is slightly off topic but I can`t get my head around how that is possible?

It is a full 45 miles from Belfast International via the M1 & main Enniskillen road until I meet a traffic light (in Augher village, iirc). Also iirc, there are no "built up area" speed limits on this route either. Over repeated journeys, I find that I can do an average driving speed (within speed limits) on this stretch of road of approx 95 km/hr.

Don't get me started about the roads to and around Dublin...

In fairness you picked Dundalk, not me!

Initially I was very surprised at the move from Shannon - but we must remember belfast is also a major city in Ireland and at the moment there is only one carrier to Hethrow - this means it is very expensive to fly belfast to heathrow - £300 I was told by a friend - who often has to fly that route.

When you look at how smaller regional airports have done as a result of RyanAir flying in - tourism has flourished.

While it is regreatable that the Heathrow direct link is gone - I think Shanon airport needs to focus on become a Low cost airport attracting low cost carriers, this inturn will boost incoming tourism. There have been numerous reports saying that while tourism has increased in Ireland it has dramaticaly decreased in the South of Ireland (I have family in the tourist trade). The introduction low ost destinations could improve this...

I know there is more to the west than tourism but the Shanon management should not look back and mourne over what was - but take radical steps and change the business model.

I think you are just digging in and flogging a dead horse with your argument about Dundalk. I think you would be in the minority of the people in this area if you use Belfast over Dublin.

IS ANYBODY going to comment on the Gov. assurances of protecting these Heathrow slots for S, C & D airports. You may not agree with it but they DID promise this prior to the election. It was also given as a reason to hang on to the AL shares. Why are they not honouring this promise.

In fairness to Shannon it's the only place in Ireland where you can get a direct flight to or from Iraq

I think you are just digging in and flogging a dead horse with your argument about Dundalk. I think you would be in the minority of the people in this area if you use Belfast over Dublin.

Fair enough so, but can you then explain why public figures in the North East have been loud in their support for the Aer Lingus move?