Sfa/ibec/isme

Ireland.1

What have your experiences been with either of the above organisations? I've been contemplating joining one of them.

If you are a small business don't go near IBEC (banks and semi-states). SFA and ISME might be a good idea but make sure you need them and that they can help a business in your sector.

Purple, thank you for your reply. I see AIB are offering a years free membership to SFA for new start up businesses. Since my last post I've done some asking around and the reaction hasnt been great.

They are unions (basically)... what good can they do for you? Do you need to lobby a politician?

Good point. I've heard from one business who have membership to one of those organisations and find it difficult in getting any help. I suppose I had an outdated outlook in thinking those places where out to help businesses.

Good point. I've heard from one business who have membership to one of those organisations and find it difficult in getting any help. I suppose I had an outdated outlook in thinking those places where out to help businesses.
Yea, just like other unions are there to help their members and not lobby the government. :rolleyes:

I have been involved with the SFA for over 10 years & would recommend membership to all SME's. I have always found the staff there to be well versed in business issues & helpful with their advice. Many members perceive them to be primarily a "lobby group" but they have a range of advisory & support services. You might also look at Plato membership - they focus on Business development issues with funding from the CEB's & support from some of the large corporates.

Back