SF Ard Fheis told “cyclists who cycle on the footpath are among the worst criminals

Brendan Burgess

Founder
From The Irish Times

An Antrim delegate said he believed “cyclists who cycle on the footpath are among the worst criminals” because there was hardly a day “when I step off the streets in Dublin when I’m not nearly creamed by a cyclist as I stand at a bus stop”.

He said he was “profoundly in disagreement” with a motion, subsequently passed, which called for increased investment in the North for cycling from about 58 pence a person each year to£10.
The great thing about Sinn Féin is their sense of proportion about what is and what is not a crime.

From a Donegal man;

Listen now you Southern lot.
There is nothing ironic about being {creamed} by someone in a dark hoddie, whilst me an innocent bystander is going about my democratic right, by waiting on a slow bus.
We need legislation to confront these unelected pedal-pests before they go from being (official) to (provisional) pests.
If they are not taken out (whoops) I mean curtailed , by the lawful forces of the state, they could morph into (dissidents).
I would remind Mr Burgess,
This is a seious matter and for him to have respect for pedestrians.
I would also remind Mr Burgess , I vollunterred to leave Antrim.

Anybody else wondering what the different types of brackets do to the text on Gerry's computer?

Maybe just another linguistic slip I think.
He may have intended to ban psychopaths , not cycle paths.

I’m not a fan of cycling on footpaths but I can think of a few crimes that are worse... like killing a young mother because she held a dying man and burying her body on a beach.
I can’t remember SF ever betting upset at that sort of thing at an Ard Fheis.

Back