sewer pipes

Hasslehoff

HI All

I am thinking of building an extension to the rear of my house and I was advised by a friend to call the council to see if they own any of the drains in the back garden.
They told me that they have nothing in our back garden but that each property had a connector running from the rear of the house to the council pipe for every six properties and that we where not affected.
Has anyone something to say about building over these pipes from past experience ?

Be very careful, I used to own a house where the common sewer ran out through a number of gardens, a neighbour built a shed at the end of his & the common sewer collasped. It is a nightmare now when the sewers block up, make sure you put in a manhole cove to access it.

If the extension is not on top of the pipes you have nothing to worry about, but the first thing your builder must do is locate all existing services as to protect against danage in construction stage. As others said to leave access to them, even if its in the extension you can get a double sealed manhole cover. this will stop any smells getting into the house.