Sewage smell

Newbie!

We're just living in our house approx one month. It is an old corpo house in Crumlin. Since we've moved in we've noticed that (very randomly) a smell of sewage is in the house.....have no idea how to even approach diagnosing problem. any ideas?

Secondly, one of our aluminium windows (single glazed) will not open. It is double-handled and the bottom of the window pushes out slightly but the other side is wedged - oiled it and all but wont budge....any thoughts???

Thanks!

Maybe check any outside manholes to see if there is any sign of a blockage?

Hi Newbie, ClubMan may be spot on there. I know of a recent case near me in Crumlin where this was the case, and the manholes at the back of some of the houses in the terrace were nigh on overflowing! The problem was traced to the sewer between the last house in the terrace and the manhole out near the road. The Corpo had to come out and jet the pipes to clear this one.

There's a lot of building going on around there, and a lot of stuff that shouldn't ends up going down these drains.

Failing that, take a look at these two previous posts.

As for the windows, is there any sign of cracks in the walls, inside or out? Those aluminium windows have been there for quite some time, and any settlement or movement often affects them in this way.
Leo

Thanks for the replies. I'll spend the weekend getting down and dirty to figure this out. Will post back if (when) I find out....

As for the window...no cracks...feels locked with the exception that there is no lock....not as important as the sewage right now!

Could have done with one of those back in the days when I worked next door to the Pigeonhouse and the nearby sewage works! Phew...