sevice interval of 20k, should i wait that long, main dealer or local garage?

kieran160

recently traded up to an 04 bmw 320d with 70K on the clock. the manual says a service every 20K that seems excessive on a car with a bit of mileage on it, any recommendations should i get an oil and filter change now to freshen it up or wait the full 20K interval!

im in two minds, imported the car from england few weeks ago full main bmw dealer service history, im doing approx 25-30K mileage a year now is it worth keeping the main dealer history or not as the mileage will be high anyways within year or two

I'd keep driving it as it is.The service lights won't be long informing you when the next service is due.If it was my car I'd keep up the bmw service history as it really helps when you try to sell it later on.You could get a deal from the servicing dealer with some luck.

change it. the 20k service interval is a good marketing tool but probably not very good for the engine. i recently serviced my rover 75 (same engine) at 15k as per the computer and the air filter was absolutely filthy. in future ill be doing the oil at 5-6k and the fuel filter as per the computer.

Change all oil no later than 8k miles. What is the problem in buying a €15 bucket of oil. Also it is more important to change the AIR FILTER once a year due to over fueling this is more damageing to the engine then not changeing the oil.

If the BMW is like other German brands the car can either be on a fixed service schedule or a variable service schedule. Then there's also a long-life service.

It will mainly depend on what type of mileage you are doing over a specified period of time. My diesel will only go for about 8k before the service light tells me to service, but I'm doing about 750 miles a week in her, motorway driving.

My mate has a diesel too but works local to where he lives and he gets a lot more mileage for a service.

It all comes down to the way the car is used. The service indicators are conservative anyway, so they won't let a car go without.

There are those die-hards who will say 5-8k max, but as engines improve I think this becomes less and less relevant

Back