Setting Up Online trading a/c when abroad

cunninghams

Hi folks,

I have recently tried to set up an online trading a/c with Davy Stockbrokers via AIB's online trading facility. As part of the process there are the usual identification checks before the a/c can be set up. Davy asked for a recent utility bill, a bank statement and a certified copy of my passport or Drivers licence. The issue I am having is that I am currently based overseas and Davy's won't except a certified copy of my passport from a foreign bank. I have tried to get AIB to sign a copy of my passport but they insisted that it had to be original and signed in my presence. I can understand their viewpoint but i am frustrated as I have been very loyal to AIB and have a good bit of money tied up with them. I thought they could have leant a bit considering I am using the online day to day banking service on a regular basis anyway so the online trading is just another step.

I would be grateful for your advice.

Regards

cunninghams

This is normal banking procedure to prevent money laundering and individual banks don't have much discretion about applying the rules, espically when it comes to something as fundamental as your passport.

Your best approach would be to contact the Irish embassy as they normally have the ability to authenticate documents for purposes such as this. Another alternative would be to get a notary to certify the copy for you or if you live in either Germany or Switzerland the local post office have facilities to certify documents for you.

Back