Setting Up New Email a/c

Ash

Been trying to set up a new email account with an Irish service.
Tried both eircom.net (am eircom Broadband customer) and Yahoo without success.
Filled in all the required fields, an available username, passwords, "accepts" etc then hit the "create" button and....nothing. Also given no reason why the process wont proceed.
Tried different computers, different locations, different times, different days.
Does anyone have a suggestion what the trouble might be? Have opened other accounts over the years without all this hassle.
Can anyone suggest another free, easy to use, webmail service that is not Hotmail? Preferably with an Irish association.
Many thanks. Much appreciated.

It's not Irish - but Gmail from Google is probably the best in my opinion.

Hi Ash,
I use one on dublin.ie, find it great, you can build a website there too...if you wish.
M

Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't recommend going with the email account from your broadband provider as what happens if and when you change your provider? Generally you would lose your account and then go through the boring task of telling everyone. I find gmail.com very good, also laposte.net. I have hotmail.com and yahoo also but use it primarily for IM rather than mail.

Another option is to grab a generic free account but then register your own domain name - joeblogg.com, etc, costs as little as 6 euro these days, and it means you can keep using you@yourdomain.com email, and just point it wherever you are if you move provider. You can get a domain with email forwarding at www.register365.com (Disclosure, I work for 365)

If mentioning a business or service, please identify any conflict of interest.

Thanks for all contributions.
I didn't think of gmail or realise it was no longer by invitation.
It seems to have done the trick.
Thanks again.

Despite all that I've heard about gmail it does seem to be the best option at the moment. My biggest gripe is its refusal to use folders and the use of "labels" which really doesn't make things that much easier.