Setting up as a musician & event services sole trader

S

Sound&Vision

I'm a musician and I run small events, supply audio/musical services and work as a freelancer on very large musical events. I'm presently planning on setting up as a sole trader with the ultimate end goal is to have a sustainable ltd company profitably releasing and promoting my own music and musical events.

Instead of setting up a business that is simply me as a musician I wish instead to set up a music promotion company with myself as the company's main artist. This may seem a little convoluted but I believe that being both the creative and also the business person at the same time creates some difficulties and I see this as a way of swapping between the two hats. I also wish to be able to work with other artists and events that may not be directly related to my music and this would mean all channels are in place to do this.

I know the music business is very difficult and that many here may have no direct experience with it but I'd still be very interested to hear any advice or thoughts.

Also, at this early stage can I set up as sole trader and have all my various work in events and music pass through it or will I have to make clear distinctions between the various services in relation to VAT etc?

Back