Setting up a psychotherapy and accupuncture practice

elainem

Has any one any experience of setting up a psychotherapy and accupuncture practice?

Myself and a friend are thinking of setting up. We both have really good qualificaitons. However, I'm reluctant. At the moment we're planning to do a website, but I'm reluctant to do so (see post below).

I have been offered a job abroad and am thinking of taking it - though I would have to move school-going children.

Can anyone give me advice re setting up a psychotherapy/accupunture practice. Neither of us have a mortgage, and we both have small second incomes, so we don't need to make a fortune, but we do need a regular supply of clients - My friend reckons she needs to see 20/25 clients per week, and I need to see about 10/12.

Any advice really appreciated.

I recently retired from a full-time post at a very senior level working as an Art Psychotherapist in the NHS in the UK (I am an Irish immigrant, by the way). I worked for the NHS for 18 years after an unsuccessful attempt to set up a private practice. What follows is therefore anecdotal and may not be representative but it's my "tuppence'urth".

(1) Pre-recession it required about 3 years to build up a clientele of 15-20; post-recession this is likely to be longer. Affordability is an issue as self-help and public-sector options proliferate. (2) Setting up involves a lot of leg-work, self-publicity, presentations to potential referrers and business-meetings. You mention a web-site but with such a personal, intimate relationship as counselling or psychotherapy recommendation, word-of-mouth from individuals with whom you have worked safely and effectively, and referrals from General Practitioners, are the main source of clients. (3) If/when you establish a clientele, factor in time and energy to keep accounts, maintain secure accurate records (check this out with whichever professional association you trained with/sets your ethical standards........the criteria for security and documentation are extremely rigorous!). (4) Following closely from the previous point, professional training bodies now require that registered practitioners have comprehensive, expensive, third-party liability insurance as well as adequate and appropriate caseload supervision so time, money, energy and availability of the would be a core element of your private therapy practice...........irrespective of the size of your client group.

In summary, working with individuals with troubling personal issues and/or dysfunctional relationships is not to be engaged in lightly and there is no option of 'casual' or 'part-time' involvement. You would like to do 'a little' of this work but the reality is that therapeutic responsibility does not end when the individual leaves the session, but when the therapy is completed which may be a number of years. Given that you are unsure if you wish to emigrate setting up a practice in current economic climate and given the nature of the enterprise would, it seems to me, benefit from you discussing with an experienced mentor/supervisor from your professional body, in your own field, to assist you to decide.

Setting up a private practice - psychotherapy/accupunture

Hi! Marie,

Thanks a mil for your reply. I really appreciate it!

It's really what I was thinking too - people who did the course with me - a masters in child and adolescent psychotherapy (fully accredited and all hours done) - and was thinking about doing a further dip in family therapy- were always thinking they would make loads of money. I never thought this. Basically, I just wanted to work in the public sector, part-time at something I liked. I have 15 years experience of working in mental health prior to this.

It's to the U.K., I'm thinking of going, and wondered how easy or difficult it is to get a job there, and where should I look. I have school going children and their sole parent - so it's a big move. Just can't see any prospects here, and I'm in my mid forties - so need to jump ship soon if I'm going.

Thanks again.

My post was dis-established ("cut") when I retired. Yesterday I had an e-mailed flyer from a psychotherapist colleague in London alarmed that South London and Maudsley Partnership NHS Trust were about to "cut" 300 psychotherapy posts. This morning's news is that the public-sector union UNISON are threatening strikes during the Olympic Games to flag up the cuts in the health service.

Go figure if it is a good time to come to work here, especially if you have kids to support!

With an accredited training in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy you would have no difficulty establishing in the public sector in Sweden, Germany, the Antipodes (New Zealand or Australia), or in a USA health-facility. Good luck with it.

Setting up a psocyhotherapy/accupuncture practice

Hi! Marie,

Thanks a mil for advice. Sweden sounds great, but I guess I would have to know the language to be psychotherapist there, same for Germany. New Zealand seems too far, but some of my relatives have suggested Canada next year if things do not work out here.

I didn't realise things were so bad in the U.K. - I always thought things held up there much better than here in any recession.

I have got a job here for the next 6 months - maternity leave - not psychotheray, but in a related area. So I'll take that and do some voluntee psychotherapy work untill 2013 and see where we go from there.

Also have decided not to go ahead and set up business. Dont' want to waste any more money!

Thanks again for your very informative advice.

Back