setting up a message board just like this one

8till8

Can anyone advise me on how to create a message board just like AAM, ideally I'd like to be free or lowest cost.

Are there websites where I could create my own board for posting?

Google Groups is free and isn't bad-even though it hasn't as many features as AAM etc.

A lot of fora start off using free software such as phpbb2 ([broken link removed]. Most hosting plans would support it..

The problem with using one of the free services is that you won't be able to move the content easily if you outgrow it

The problem with using one of the free services is that you won't be able to move the content easily if you outgrow it

I thought that if you were moving from a free service to a pay service, that at least some of the better ones provided the facility to "scrape" the data from your existing forum to your new one?

Wasn't a free forum where AAM was originally. Not sure the reason for the move though.

I thought that if you were moving from a free service to a pay service, that at least some of the better ones provided the facility to "scrape" the data from your existing forum to your new one?

It *may* be possible with some, but if you spend several months and many long hours building up a community do you really want to take the risk?

Back