Setting up a limited company

Mr. Flibble

I presume this has been posted a million times before but I can't find the info I'm looking for anywhere (and the search here is broken). So please help if you can.

I want to set up a Private Company Limited by Shares. The CRO web site says I need three things to do this;
Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association and Companies Office Registration Form A1. But they don't provide the first two.
What are they and how do I get my hands on them? And once I have these and my fee must I just send it all in to the CRO and wait?

I know there are 3rd party companies which will set up your company for you for €300 or so. Is this the only option? I'd prefer to do it myself it is just a matter of filling out the forms yourself.

If you want the new company set up quickly, it would be better to use a company formation agent. For the few hundred euros you might save by doing it yourself, you will wait up to several weeks longer, and (no offence intended) it would be unusual for someone to do it personally and get it right the first time.

I set up a company recently by going through Registeracompany.ie I got the documents I needed and got my company registered with the CRO no problem. I got funny looks from my solicitor and accountant because it's not the normal practice but it can be done. My only advice: Retain copies of the articles and memorandums of assocation and get them bound along with a copy of your Certificate of Incorportation. You will need this to set up a bank account. Also, you will need to get a company seal - there are plenty of companies on the internet that sell them and they generally cost €50 or so. Also, I notice that people claim it takes several weeks for the CRO to register you unless you go through a third party company and that may be so, but it only took two or three weeks which isn't outlandish.

If you are competent with administration, then I would say there is no problem doing it yourself.

Many people who set up limited companies find out later that they don't need them at all and all the hassle and expense is literally money down the drain. The biggest drawback in dealing directly with a professional formations firm is that they make their money from forming companies. Therefore they are unlikely to tell you that you might be better off not forming a company.