Setting up a .ie website

CHarper

Hi

I have a full time job (PAYE worker) and I fix computers part time, maybe 4 or 5 computers a month. I would like to set up a .ie domain for myself. If I set up a company name for myself at cro dot ie to get the domain will there be tax implications as I'm a full time worker??

Any advise greatly appreciated

Why are you setting up as a company? Why not as a sole trader?

If you set up the company you will take a salary from the company and pay tax on it almost as if you were an employee.

If you set up as a sole trader you will account for your tax after the end of the calender year.

I don't have to set up as a company. I was told by a couple of hosting companies that I needed to do this that's all. Thanks for the advise jack2009

Just for info,

Web Hosting companies know nothing about tax implications or business registration.

So if I was a sole trader I would have to pay tax on anything I made fixing computers and my salary (main full time job) is unaffected?

I have done similar to you, I am a full-time paye worker and I am also registered as self-employed. If you haven't already done so they you should register as being self-employed. You don't need to register for VAT if your expected revenue outside of your paye income is less that a certain threshold (I think it is about 50k).

You have to submit tax returns by October 31st 2011 for any income you earn as being self employed in 2010. You will probably want to get an accountant to to do your tax return next year, it won't cost too much (I paid 150 euro). Make sure you keep receipts for expenses incurred while carrying out your work as a self-employeed person. Your accountant can advise you on what you can claim.

It is also worth looking into setting up a PRSA pension next year as it could be very tax efficient if you want to put your earnings into it.

Other than that the whole thing is quite straightforward. Your PAYE salary is unaffected.

I don't have to set up as a company. I was told by a couple of hosting companies that I needed to do this that's all. Thanks for the advise jack2009

If you set up as a sole trade and register your business name that will suffice with the domain companies.

So if I was a sole trader I would have to pay tax on anything I made fixing computers and my salary (main full time job) is unaffected?

Yes that is correct but just to clarify you only pay tax on the profits you make so you can offet expenses. Have a look at revenue.ie for the types of expenses etc.

Best of luck.

Thanks aristotle for your great advise. To be honest with you it does sound like quite a bit of trouble for me especially when I earn about e100 a month doing this. It's more of a hobby and I just wanted to have a .ie blog website with some information about what I do. I don't have any big plans really. I actually didn't realize how many loops you had to jump through to get a .ie domain. I actually printed a few business cards with my domain.ie on them as I thought it would be straight forward. Bummer I guess

Thanks guys

Why not use a .com instead.
It has no restriction other than unique name.
Then register this with CRO and use it.

... especially when I earn about e100 a month doing this. ...
Forget about self-employed registration, VAT etc. For this amount of money stick the extra income on your Form 12 return at tax-year end and be prepared to pay additional tax, levies, etc. It'll be very small based on your figures.