Set up wireless adapter...desktop PC cant connect to internet

ciara_gmail

Hi guys,

Would appreciate some opinions I'm having on the following...

We received our wireless router from BT yesterday and have installed accompanying software on desktop PC and brothers laptop. We also bought a wireless adapter for the desktop PC (Belkin) and installed software on CD that came with that.

Laptop is working fine. On desktop, can see via adapter software that it's picking up the wireless signal (strenght 66%) but receiving the standard 'page not displayed' error when opening a browser window. Brother had no problems connecting the laptop. The PC is quite old - does it also need to have a wireless network card or should the adapter suffice? Any specific settings that need to be in Tools > Internet Options.

Thanks in advance, very confused about this stuff!

Last edited:
if you cant get to the admin page sounds like the adaptor isnt working/configured properly. If you couldnt get to the internet but could get to the admin page of the router then it would be the router that is having the issue.

Im not familiar with the adaptor they provide, is there setup software with it and what does that tell you when you run it?

Was thinking it a bit strange that I couldn't access the Admin page...I'll check again tonight if it's configured properly. The router is definitely doing it's job as 2 different laptops have now used the Wireless connection.

The adapter didn't come with the BT Voyager software, bought a Belkin one and installed that myself. Will check the settings tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a Belkin USB version and it can be tempermental. Make sure you have entered the 32 bit key if one is necessary. I usaully have to right click the dial up icon next to the clock and do a repair and usaully this works. If not a restart. Sometimes the configuration mysterically gets lost & I have to reinsert key.

I had a similar problem, when I disabled the anti-virus software and the windows firewall, then switched the router off and on, this resolved my difficulties.

Hi guys,

Switched the router on and off and was prompted for key. This time we got in so are connected via wireless - thanks all for suggestions!