service history 'in the post'

KBR

My wife is trying to by a used car & the garage she visited today had a UK volvo s40, but couldn't show her the full service history. The paperwork was due to arrive in the garage by post. Is this unusual? Shouldn't the FSH be there in the glove compartment or elsewhere with the car - this is where I keep my own. Or is there some reason why they would have received this car from the UK without all the paperwork at the same time.

its normal for the book pack to travel seperately - they cost money to replace and can get lifted in transit.

however its CRUCIAL that when it arrives you ring the servicing dealer and TALK to someone in service who can confirm the history - look for old mot certs as well.

Paperwork arrived in the garage today. The "one previous owner" is a UK Vehicle Leasing Company which adds some doubt to my mind. Also with relatively low mileage (40,000 miles for a march 03 car) I can see also it was serviced in Birmingham in 03, in London 05, 06 and in Edinburgh 03 and 07 - which makes me think it was driven a lot more than the mileage indicates.
Had it checked out online by HIP in UK & they have shown up no irregularities in terms of finance owed on it or vehicle being crashed/repaired. There is a discrepancy I can see: serviced on 3 dec 03 with 14100 miles ion Birmingham, but Kwik Fit Edinburgh supplied something to it on 4th Dec 03 & mileage is noted at 13300 (maybe the servicing garage was invoiced by Kwik Fit Edinburgh even if tyres or exhuast were sourced in a local Kwik Fit?)
Do you think I have done enough? I'm going to get a mechanic to check it out Monday of course - but would you be worried about the '1 owner' being a lease company?

hi, i've ranted on another thread about the car we just bought. a bmw imported from singapore. collected it yesterday. it had everything with it, ALL manuals full service history and registration cert from previous owner,it gives great peace of mind..... i'd be worried about '' in the post'' as all the manuals traveled with the imported cars to the company that we bought from.

too many doubts here to part with your hard earned cash....let someone esle take the fall and move on to another one. Plenty cars out there with less suspiscions about them
The mileage seems very low for a 4yr old lease car.