service for eligibility query?

blanketyblank

I recently sent for a statement of my pension with a view to retiring in the not too far future. I'm a public servant. When it came back it said ,
'pensionable service' 31 years and 1 day in one column and
'service for eligibility' 32 years and 71 days in the other

What does service for eligibility mean?

thanks

Might it be the amount of service that you will have by the time that you reach your 60th birthday and become eligible for a pension?

The term "service for eligibility" is also used in relation to certain leave periods, eg, unpaid maternity leave or adoptive leave. The period counts towards eligibility for promotions or competitions but not for pension purposes as contributions were not being paid. Perhaps you had some such periods of leave?

Also check if you have some service that could be bought back. Did you have any part-time service, probationary service or trainee-type service before you became permanent and pensionable? Such service would be "service for eligibility". It is very cost-effective to "buy back" any such service for pension purposes, if you haven't already done so. This is different to "notional service" which is more expensive.

I actually have some of that type of service - service given before I became permanent and in the days in my job when there was no option to pay pension! This is probably what that means - The difference between the two columns is i year and 70 days, would it mean then that I have the option to buy back that much?
There was no option in the statement to buy back - nor any costings - I'm wondering does it mean that the option is there on retirement?
As I said I'll have to look into it but it would be nice if I had an idea of what I'm talking about before I make contact.

Thanks

You have the option to purchase this service now if you want - either by lump sum or by periodic deductions. If you are thinking of retiring early it would be better to do it by lump sum, if possible. You have to apply to your HR or Salary Department to do so. Sometimes people have to get the service verified but if it is already on your service statement this should be very straightforward. You could also leave the purchase to nearer retirement if you want. I assume you could do it deduction from your retirement lump sum, but I am not sure about that. Normal tax relief applies.

Back