Service Charges

C

CORN DOG

I have an investment property in an apartment block and have always discharged services charges on time.

However, the general state of the communal areas of the blocks and the gardens are not maintained.

I have therfore decided to discharge the bin charges and make a contribution yo insurance (based on the premium divided by the no. of apartments).

I have advsied the mgt committee of this and the fact that I will revert to paying in full and on time when the items in need of repair and/or maintenance are effected.

They are now threating to sue me.

Is my stance wrong?

Thanks,

However, the general state of the communal areas of the blocks and the gardens are not maintained.

Your apt block is like many others. Many, if not most, apt blocks are badly maintained. Many of the apt blocks built in Dublin in the 80s and 90s are turning into slums because the management companies are not maintaining them satisfactorily. In most cases, this is because owners do not pay their service charges, and the mgt companies are not pursuing defaulters. It has to be said that there are good mgt companies and bad mgt companies, and I have experience of both types.

If you refuse to pay the service charge, the mgt company are entitled to take legal action to force you to pay. Also, if you refuse to pay, the mgt company will just say "How can we maintain the building if you don't pay the service charge?".

In my experience, the best approach is to pay the service charge, and keep putting pressure on the management company to 1) compel all owners to pay their service charge, and then 2) to spend the money on maintaining the building. Sometimes, it can be sueful to speak to the other owners and get their support to put pressure on the mgt company also.

Back